Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2003, 02:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where can I find an 18" bulb for LR?

1).Where can I find an 18" bulb (with the two pointy-things) that can put out enough light/energy to support live rock.

Anyone know?

2).Also, which is bettter: Metal halides, or Smartlights?

Thanks.

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:46 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What size tank. If all you want to do is support live rock you dont exactly need high output light.

If you want anything other than 'normal output florecents' then yoru gonna have to go with a different light fixture with a different ballast.

What are smartlights?

If you want to stick with florecent you could look into Powercompact Florecents. These will require new ballast, new endcaps and more or less a new hood to house the lights.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:34 AM   #3
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
What are smartlights?
It's a term usually given to 50/50 PC lights but I think the correct term is smartlamps.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-21-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 45 gallon corner tank (more than 24" tall) with one live rock, dead sand, 5 yellow-tailed damsels (giving 3 back to the LFS), 6 red-legged hermit crabs, a skimmer, and a dual bio-filter.

I plan on keeping this tank a FOLR.

**All I want to do is keep the LR living, while possibly promoting new growth.**
Old 08-21-2003, 09:47 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well im sure someone is gonna want to debate me here but you really dont need light to keep live rock living. Live rock is alive with many different forms of life and there is not much other than some decorative algae that is photosynthetic.

What makes live rock live.

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate consuming bactera
Coraline algae (photosynthetic)
Small crustations commonly called "pods"
Small worms (aka bristleworms)
Small crabs (occasionally)
Sponges
Macro algae (photosynthetic)
Small coral fragments (occasionally)(photosynthetic)

For a tank that deep a single or even double normal output florecent bulb should basicly only be used for viewing the fish. Your not going to get much benifical light for photosynsis out of those bulbs at 2+' depth.

I would go for some short VHO bulbs or some Power Compact florecents.

Of course your corner tank is ideal shape for a single MH bulb with a few actinic florecents.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is, is that I'm starting to get worried. The rock seems to be loosing the plants and living things on it. Everyday after work, I come home at 5:30 to find that it looks more and more dead.

Is it from poor lighting, or could it be because the ammonia is still so high because my tank hasn't cycled?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Is it from poor lighting, or could it be because the ammonia is still so high because my tank hasn't cycled?
I supect its a combo of both. If you want to salvage the life on the rock then you can perform a few water changes during the cycle. It will prolong the process some but it will have a positive effect of saving some of the extra life on the rock that you described.

Tags
bulb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com