Where can I get dry rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadoeFox

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I'm getting ready to set up a new, 70 Gallon salt tank which is a bit of an upgrade from the 37 gal I've already got running. I've already got most of my equipment together, and am now looking into the rock issue.

So here's my question. Where can I find base rock inexpensively? I'm planning on doing a mix of live rock and base rock (Probobly something like 70/30 or something) while cycling the tank to let the base rock seed (I did this with my 37 with rocks my wife's uncle gave us from a tank he'd torn down, so got it free that time!)

What options are there for me for finding base rock. I know the LFS route (Although only one I know of actually sells base rock apparently). Online shipping has me wary but I"m willing to consider options, but can I just get rock from Lowes/Home Depot, and if so what types of rocks am I looking for?

Thanks in advance!

You're looking for porous base rock. I haven't seen any rock at HD/Lowe's that would be appropriate.

I would try bulkreefsupply.com. I loved the pukani rock i got from them. Others also like the rock from reefcleaners.org. Take a look. If you get enough rock, you may qualify for free shipping.

AquaRick said:
You're looking for porous base rock. I haven't seen any rock at HD/Lowe's that would be appropriate.

I would try bulkreefsupply.com. I loved the pukani rock i got from them. Others also like the rock from reefcleaners.org. Take a look. If you get enough rock, you may qualify for free shipping.

+1
bulkreefsupply.com
That's where I got me about 100lbs from. My next set up will be from there again.

If you get pukani rock from BRS, be careful. You need about 3/4 lbs per gallon of tank that you have. It is so light and porus. I ordered 90 lbs for my 125g and I have more rock than i'd like. But i do love the look of it.

Yeah... see it's against my better instincts to pay four dollars for a pound of dry rock. Live rock, sure, I see why it could cost a bit, but dry? No. Frankly I have a local fish store selling the stuff for less, but it's still higher than I'd like to pay if I could find alternatives. I'll do it if I have to, but I'm a firm believer in looking for options.

Also, the online retailers "Buy so much and don't pay shipping" don't do you alot of good if you're thinking in terms of buying a bit here and bit there. I don't mind going slow. I do mind paying more than I have to because a specialty dealer thinks I'm not going to do the research.

Thanks for replying though. Anyone else?

I probably have 100 lbs of rock I would sell for dirt cheap

I thank folks for their responses, and I really do appreciate them. That being said, I was specifically looking for options OTHER than websites.

Bluntly, I can't pick the rock I want over the net. They'll send me what they want. Not what I do. I also will wait for whatever shipping method they choose (free will likely translate to slow as all get out). Also, frankly, 2.30 for rock is not cheap. It's rock. I have seen live rock for only about a buck and a half more online.

I want to be able to choose what I want, and get a bit at a time just so I don't have to deal with sticker shock. If I can't do this without dealing with a LFS for it, fine. But I am NOT ordering rock from an online retailer. That's why I was asking for options OTHER than online.

Not sure what other options you have then, other than the lfs. The site I linked is actually VERY good about sending what YOU want and ask for. And their rock is awesome too, very very porous and lots of nooks and crannies.

The only thing I can think of is to troll craigslist where you live and see if anyone is breaking down a sw tank and get your live rock for usually around $2-$3 a lb.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom