Where do I begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Where do I start?
I have any empty 10 gallon tank. Is it possible to make it into my first saltwater tank. I don't know where to start with saltwater?
Can I even use my 10 gallon fish tank? I have used it for freshwater before. What do I need to start with saltwater?
Can I do a saltwater reef or anything?

If you haven't used any copper based meds you should be fine to turn it into a reef tank. The selection of fish will be very limited and the upkeep will have to be top notch.

Do you want a reef tank?

Two important things is a refractometer and a liquid test kit. Something like apt.

For that tank I would get something like an aquaclear 110 for the filter and turn it into a fuge. Amazon.com: AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter - for 60 to 110 Gallon: Pet Supplies You could go with the AC70 but the 110 is gives a little more room for the macro algae.

Light I would go with a fishneedit 70watt mh 70W Metal Halide Pendant Lights You could also go with the t5 light

Basic heater

Powerhead I like the koralia
Hydor Koralia Evolution Nano 425 Powerhead Fish Coral Reef Pump | eBay

Sand don't go with crushed coral because it is hard to keep clean

Live rock you can go with base rock and it will turn live I would get at least one piece of live rock to seed it and hope it has some brittle stars and bristle worms

ATO something like the nano float on this page AutoTopoff.com

Keep it down to only one fish and remember clowns do get big and can live 20 years or more and a 10 gallon is not going to give it the quality of life it deserves. Research the fish you might like and see if any of them are considered easy.

Take it slow because only bad things happen fast in saltwater tanks.

joy13 said:
If you haven't used any copper based meds you should be fine to turn it into a reef tank. The selection of fish will be very limited and the upkeep will have to be top notch.

Do you want a reef tank?

Two important things is a refractometer and a liquid test kit. Something like apt.

For that tank I would get something like an aquaclear 110 for the filter and turn it into a fuge. Amazon.com: AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter - for 60 to 110 Gallon: Pet Supplies You could go with the AC70 but the 110 is gives a little more room for the macro algae.

Light I would go with a fishneedit 70watt mh 70W Metal Halide Pendant Lights You could also go with the t5 light

Basic heater

Powerhead I like the koralia
Hydor Koralia Evolution Nano 425 Powerhead Fish Coral Reef Pump | eBay

Sand don't go with crushed coral because it is hard to keep clean

Live rock you can go with base rock and it will turn live I would get at least one piece of live rock to seed it and hope it has some brittle stars and bristle worms

ATO something like the nano float on this page AutoTopoff.com

Keep it down to only one fish and remember clowns do get big and can live 20 years or more and a 10 gallon is not going to give it the quality of life it deserves. Research the fish you might like and see if any of them are considered easy.

Take it slow because only bad things happen fast in saltwater tanks.

Yes I would defiantly do a Reef. I need to get some more money first.
Do you think it's easier to do a bigger tank than a smaller on e like 10 gallon?

The smaller the tank the more likely a small error will turn into a huge error. So a bigger tank will be more stable and give you more options. With a little bit of changing around with things like the size of lights and size of power heads you could easily do a 40 gallon breeder with the list I gave you. I started out with a 7 gallon and it did well for a year until all the coral got to big and I was tired of fragging it and I upgraded I wished I would have started bigger to begin with.

If I was starting from scratch I would keep my eyes out for good deals and slowly buy things until I had everything but the tank. The tank will probably be the most plentiful item to find. All of my tanks and equipment I have bought used.

You might want to consider a skimmer but if you keep up with water changes you won't need one. If you do get one get a quality one.

joy13 said:
The smaller the tank the more likely a small error will turn into a huge error. So a bigger tank will be more stable and give you more options. With a little bit of changing around with things like the size of lights and size of power heads you could easily do a 40 gallon breeder with the list I gave you. I started out with a 7 gallon and it did well for a year until all the coral got to big and I was tired of fragging it and I upgraded I wished I would have started bigger to begin with.

If I was starting from scratch I would keep my eyes out for good deals and slowly buy things until I had everything but the tank. The tank will probably be the most plentiful item to find. All of my tanks and equipment I have bought used.

You might want to consider a skimmer but if you keep up with water changes you won't need one. If you do get one get a quality one.

I really what a saltwater reef tank, so I'll see what I can so, but it will take some time!

The bigger the filter the better and a 50w heater should be fine. IMO I would wait until I got a bigger filter it will be just easier to take care of.

joy13 said:
The bigger the filter the better and a 50w heater should be fine. IMO I would wait until I got a bigger filter it will be just easier to take care of.

Ok cool, I will wait for a sale on filters or something.

Back
Top Bottom