Where do I start for corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I have successfully established my tank.

I have two yellow tail damsels, 2 perculla clown fish, a sand sifting star and some blue hermits.

In two weeks providing everything still going well, I am going to add a Blue Tang (Maybe 2 if I buy them in a pair, will that be ok?)

I would also like to add my first coral. What should I check/test for/know for adding coral. I'm googline now but am curious to hear any tips at all you may have for me.

Thank you again.

You have a 125g right? I would stick to only one blue tang as we are pushing it adding one into a 125g to begin with. But another tang isnt out of the question, like maybe a yellow tang or a tomini? I have also read that they do best when added at the same time.

What lights did you end up going with as that will dictate your coral selection. :)

For just starting with corals as long as they are photosynthetic I don't think you need to dose or add anything just do your water changes weekly. As your coral collection gets larger and more diverse you may want to dose at that point. For coral keeping I would suggest the following test kits:

Calcium, phosphates, magnesium and alkalinity.

You have a 125g right? I would stick to only one blue tang as we are pushing it adding one into a 125g to begin with. But another tang isnt out of the question, like maybe a yellow tang or a tomini? I have also read that they do best when added at the same time.

What lights did you end up going with as that will dictate your coral selection. :)

For just starting with corals as long as they are photosynthetic I don't think you need to dose or add anything just do your water changes weekly. As your coral collection gets larger and more diverse you may want to dose at that point. For coral keeping I would suggest the following test kits:

Calcium, phosphates, magnesium and alkalinity.

Yes, I have 125 Gallon, and yes I was thinking a blue and yellow tang. What is a Tomini?

Oh I am also looking at adding a Goby in 2 weeks? What do you think? Will that be too much too fast?

What do you mean by dose?

For lights; I bought 2 of these: Odyssea Metal Halide System

I want bubbly corals like hammer corals; stuff that flows like that.

I would add slowly, maybe the tangs at once then a few weeks later the gobies. A tomini is a tang. :)

Dosing is adding trace elements that your corals will hog up when you get enough of them lol

With those lights you can pretty much add most things. And yes, hammers, torch corals and others like that will be fine.

Just make sure your water is totally stable before adding anything. I know you just setup this bad boy recently so slow is the way to go.

With corals, as long as you have stable water you cna add several at a time if you like. I would start with the easy ones, like shrooms and zooas maybe a nice flowy leather coral....

I would add slowly, maybe the tangs at once then a few weeks later the gobies. A tomini is a tang. :)

Dosing is adding trace elements that your corals will hog up when you get enough of them lol

With those lights you can pretty much add most things. And yes, hammers, torch corals and others like that will be fine.

Just make sure your water is totally stable before adding anything. I know you just setup this bad boy recently so slow is the way to go.

With corals, as long as you have stable water you cna add several at a time if you like. I would start with the easy ones, like shrooms and zooas maybe a nice flowy leather coral....

Got a good link with pics of the easy corals so I can pick and choose?

I'm trying so hard to go slow haha.

Thats why I get paid 2 weeks from now; in 2 weeks if my ph/ammonia/salt (Its at 1.023 exactly right now)/nitrites/nitrates are all good, would it be ok to add coral or there something in particular I should look for?

Lol if I were home I could find a good link. Try www.liveaquaria.com and look at their beginner coral packs to get an idea. :) they are overpriced imo but you can see what is considered easy.

Back
Top Bottom