Where do you buy your fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landshark

Aquarium Advice Activist
So far most of the fish I have bought at Petco were diseased and died in a short period of time.I started to buy fish from this couple that have a small aquarium store and their fish seem to be healthier and I havent had one from there die yet.........

So far most of the fish I have bought at Petco were diseased and died in a short period of time.I started to buy fish from this couple that have a small aquarium store and their fish seem to be healthier and I havent had one from there die yet.........

I always buy from my small LFS. They are quality over quantity on their orders so they don't get a huge amount of fish, but QT them all in a separate system before they sell them.

I've actually had really good success with Petco saltwater fish. My orchid dottyback, percula, and three striped damsel all came from there. They were all healthy and active from the beginning. I try to buy most of my fish from my LFS but Petco's prices are usually better.

I wish they made a Petco where I live

I would buy fish from petco, but the problem is, THEY HAVEN'T MADE ONE WHERE I LIVE!!!:mad: Besides that, I usually go to petsmart and they don't sell Golden apple snails which i have been trying to convince them to sell them because I have been wanting some for quite a while. I also buy plants from walmart and ghost shrimp

One firefish and scotter blenny from Petco the rest from lfs builds good relationships with them. But I lost some nice fish from lfs and they usually hand pick them .

I got online and noticed alot of Petcos dont take care of their tanks and sell diseased fish.....They shouldnt sell such beautiful specimens if theyre not going to take care of them properly.I spent a buttload on expensive fish at that place.....never again.I found a LFS that actually care about their products and know what theyre talkin about......Hoping to buy a 150 gallon tank by next year ,real excited about that prospect...

I've bought many sw fish at Petco an have no issues with their fish. I will say, though, that a Petco right near me, I won't go to. I go one much further away and another a little further away. Those are the 2 petcos that take care of their fish stock and have at least 5 staff members who have their own sw tanks. They're everywhere in this area. And the prices on fish at Petco are better than another stores. The downside is that they don't often carry unusual fish. And only have coral on a hit or miss schedule. For that, I go to 2 different Fish Dr shops around here or fish connection. That's where I get most of my coral, an I haven't had much difficulty with the corals dusting to my tank. Ill admit I've had about 4 fish die over time, but none of them came from Petco, all from the family LFS. Just gotta be picky about where we buy fish and corals. :)

Back
Top Bottom