Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-06-2004, 06:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
you sound like me. 50 gal, water changes every 2-3 weeks, normal lights (on a timer), don't feed the tank anything really. and i have tons of hitch hikier crabs that won't die, and corals and algea grow like crazy and the algea feeds the lawnmower blenny

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Relative newbee here also, but I will tell you that most of the information on this forum makes more sense then the garbage info I am getting at the LFS. One keeps trying to sell me expensive chemicals, one sold me $100 of crushed coral that I'll probably remove soon, one told me to load my fluval 404 with biostarts, another told me to take them out - so who do you believe? I tend to believe the helpful hobbyist who have answered my questions.

I test my water regularly - only for my own well being. So far I haven't had a problem. I float my fish and do small water additions to the bag. I know this isn't right, but so far I haven't lost anything. I don't have a protein skimmer yet, but I'm saving for one. And last but not least, I will wait until my tank is one year old and stable before adding an anemone.

Keep asking questions - they will get answered. Support from these folks will help us all to have thriving sw tanks.

Thanks guys!!

stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I also have heard many conflicting stories but here is what I've learned works for me. Lots of live rock and a good skimmer equals great water quality. No expensive wet/dry for me. Our tap water is fairly good with no noticable phosphates or nitrates, so I use Prime and tap water and that works great for me.
I don't always age the water for 24 hours but I do wait till the salt is completely dissolved before adding it and only change 10 percent at a time. I do try to run a powerhead for a while to aerate it but not always. I do have metal halide but only because I want clams. I ran on normal output flourescent for about 8 months first. I do float the bags on new animals and add a cup of tank water every 15 minutes but only for about 30 to 45 minutes not for several hours. I feed a little everyday at the same time and know from past experience that overfeeding does indeed cause bad outbreaks of cyano and that's nearly impossible to get rid of. I have learned to take everything with a grain of salt but never to dispute what works for others. Every town has a different water supply and all lfs's either prescribe to what makes them money or what is best for the animal and it's not hard to tell the difference between them if you just talk to them for a while. Sorry for the long post but this is just my two cents worth. ***gets down off of soapbox***
Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Ahhh...excuse me, most problems are suffered in the beginning (I'm a prime example - check my posts if you wish). Can you share what you did in the beginning? It may make a difference!
Jchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I made a lot of mistakes. I bought equipment I didn't need and pennypinched where I shouldn't have which meant I had to double buy some things. I have many air pumps and powerheads extra that I don't use because I made the ultimate mistake of starting with an undergravel filter. I also lost many, many fish to ich because I skimped on the qt tank(big mistake IMO). It's all trial and error and it's better to err on the side of caution. Read, read, read can't be emphasized enough and never buy something if you have not researched it's needs. Get a test kit that at least tests PH, nitrite, nitrate, and amm. The other tests are nice but not exactly necessary unless you have problems or a certain animal that depends on certain elements(i.e. ca and alk for clams and corals). I have been set up for appx 18 months and just bought the ca, alk, and po4 kits. If a site says that a coral or anemone need high lighting it usually does for long healthy life. There are many cool corals and anemones that do not need high lighting and some that even need very little lighting. Reefs can be custom designed to suit your budget but remember that you may not be satisfied for long with the lower lighting animals so if it's just a matter of a few bucks difference, definately splurge on the better lighting, it will save double spending in the long run. just my 2 cents.
Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to DirtySubstrate
Munsterkins hang in there man.. I recently started out as well, I'm a few months ahead of you and we are pretty much doing the exact same thing. Only I don't have an anenome because they creep me out.

I have found that it boils down to who you want to believe. Who seems like they know what they are doing... If their fish seem happy they are probably doing ok.

Being we are practically neighbors we should switch over to reef and kill some corals together what do you say? A guy told me at a LFS there's no extra work involved. Just add some calcium and make sure you have decent lighting and we are ready to go...

DirtySubstrate is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com