Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Where to begin...?

So I have some really young green spotted puffer fish in my tank currently and am planning on converting it to a marine tank (they love longer apparently in marine conditions)....so my question is, WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!!?

I've only had this freshwater tank for about a month and a half, maybe 2 months, and I have done fine with it! I just don't know what else is required to make this a marine tank..

I have a top fin power filter, a heater, an air pump, and a light....and then some fake plants, rocks, and cave/houses.

prgmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You don't need anything else to make it into a marine tank, but it is extremely difficult to turn a 10g (or was it 15g?) into marine tank under your circumstances. Here is why:

First your bioload will be too much and you will eventually have to do multiple water changes PER WEEK for good water quality. You will benefit with a skimmer and use a HOB refugium for macroalgae because they help keep the water cleaner in between water changes.

Second, you need to go buy an auto top off system. The salinity level will change every day or other day due to evaporation. You want to keep the salinity level as consistent as possible. With a 40g, you see less changes is salinity level and water quality is better in a given week.

The current tank is too small and your puffer will likely get stunted. Again, I highly suggest keeping your little puff in light-brackish water until you get a new tank set up. You'll save more money in water changes.

Kind Regards,
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
You`ll need to start the tank over from scratch. The nitrifying bacteria need for a SW tank is not the same as the nitrifying bacteria in a FW tank. You`ll need to put the puffer in a QT and raise the salinity till it`s where the salinity is in the Sw tank. I would suggest a bigger tank.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com