Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where to get an Aquarium

I HAVE to get a bigger aquarium. Is it "a" or "an" bigger aquarium? Anywho, the cheapest I've found is $510 or what I want: 48x24x24 Glass, 2 corner overflows, and two holes drilled in each overflow. I have to install the overflows myself.

Same website quoted me $850 for said aquarium but everything installed. The place is http://www.wetdryfilter.com

Anyone have a better suggestion? I'm between Houston, Dallas, and Austin in Texas.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:12 PM   #2
steve-s

You will find that your best deals by far will come from your local "buy & sell" or classified section in the newspaper. I have always seen great deals (less than Ĺ) compared to new.

You can also check with your LFS. Many times stores that actually stock tanks will be "negotiable" as well as having used tanks from upgrading their own displays.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-16-2003, 12:13 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Look around local. You might find someone who needs to get rid of a 90 gal aquarium in the paper.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
eBay is always an option but I would highly recommend searching within your region (so you can pick it up in person) otherwise, the shipping costs will rob you of any potential savings.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

what you're paying for are the overflows and drilling. I purchased a tank the with the same dimensions you gave for $100. It was acrylic. I understand the preference for a dilled aquarium but a HOT overflow can work just as well and you'll be saving yourself a good chunk of change.

Anyone know of any tidbits in the DIY section about drilling tanks yourself?

btw, in RE to "a" or "an", a rule of thumb, if the first letter of the following word is a vowel, use "an" otherwise use "a"

so it's either an aquarium or a fish tank. :o)
Old 07-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
I bought my 42-gal hex with 2x55w PCs, and a CPR Backpack2 filter for $150 on ebay. I was lucky and found it to be local. I have a friend who found a tank online for a really good deal that was a few states away. He just took a trip, picked up the tank, took a few days vacation, and came back with a good deal on a fish tank.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you want to drive down to Houston you could check with Fish Land and Fish R Us. They have pretty good prices on tanks.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

If the word following the use of "a" or "an" starts with a vowel then use the word "an". In all other cases use the word "a".

I agree that used is usually much cheaper but buyer beware.. .make sure you see the unit filled with water and not leaking before buying.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:58 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
There is a place in houston called "fish land". They had the best deals I have ever seen on tanks. If I am remembering correctly, they had a 125 gallon reefready, stand and stock lighting for 599. It was an oceanic tank. I would give them a call.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

what does a reefready tank include?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com