Where to get cheap but quality live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting a 75 gallon reef tank and im looking to get the best price I can for live rock. I would like it to have a cool look to it also. Since its a 75 gallon tank, im going to need about 75 pounds of live rock. Please tell me what you know except for my local fish store and craigslist

Agreed..... With dry rock you eliminate the chance of getting unwanted hitchhikers. BRS's prices on dry rock is pretty good, and they have free shipping at $175+, so either get a little extra for the refugium, or throw something small in your order that you need.

Why would I get just dry rock when I need the live rock for my tank?

Dy rock is live rock that has dried out effectively killing the bacteria on it but once running in Your tank it will become live again as bacteria grow on it. Best way is to buy lots of dry and a few bits of live to help seed tHe dry rock

How long do you think that would take?
A normal cycle is as long as it takes to cover rock with bacteria, thus making it "live". As far as "seeding" the dry rock with live, this is completely unnecessary and totally up to you. Adding live rock to the tank would negate the dry rocks lack of bad hitch hikers.

3 weeks to a month. It depends on how much of an ammonia source you used to begin with. You'll need to add something to the tank to start the initial cycle. Some use a raw cocktail shrimp and let that decompose, some use straight ammonia from the hardware store.
You could also try some of that bottled bacteria people are using now. I don't know how effective it is, because I always waited the cycle out.

Back
Top Bottom