Where to keep Element Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

OK I am ready to start adding Calcium and Alk and Iodine.

I have Seachems for the Iodine and C-Balance for the other two.

I have test kits ready its just I dont know where the levels need to be before I start.

What should my goal levels be?

I was thinking Alk is 3-4
Calcium is around 400

Iodine I have no clue.

OK I know some of you know where to keep my iodine at...

Im just one of those that dont check my iodine. I do weekly water changeswhich replenishes iodine in my tank. But I dont know what level to keep it at. Sorry

Thats what I thought but someone told me I needed to dose for iodine. But I have no CLUE if I need to or not without knowing where to keep it at.

I know this is bad advice but I dont check for the few suuplements I do add but I always put less in than whats called for. That way hopefully I wont have to worry about an overdose. But like I say that`s bad advice because I really dont know. I would not reccomend that to any one.

Water changes will keep iodine et al.. where it needs to be. You do not need to dose it. As far as your alk and Ca, keep them <<balanced>> and within NSW values and you'll do just fine.

FWIW, Seachems test kit does not detect total iodine, only iodine/iodide. It does not detect iodate which can lead to potentially high numbers if the sytem does not have animals (algaes primarily) that can easily use it up.

Cheers
Steve

I am using a Red Sea test kit or something along with a Seachem (Seachem is just the basics)

Red Sea's Ca test kit is "okay" but they do not make an iodine kit AFAIK. Seachem is good for alk and Ca as is Salifert. I would recommend those two as the more accurate vs cost available in the market. If you do go forward with the iodine additions (which I don't recommend), get the Salifert test kit, it reports total iodine which is the only accurate means of testing.

Cheers
Seve

I asked about iodine recently and got a pretty firm "Don't Dose it"

Your water changes will replenish it. Your right on for Alk. And i've been told you want Calcium 400-450 although i've seen people that keep it as high as 500

This Red Sea came with a "sample" of iodine. Looks the same size as the rest of their stuff to me.

Anyway where SHOULD the Iodine be at so I can test and see if it is too low?

OK I just tested my Alk (With the Seachem) and CA (With the red sea)

Alk is 6 and CA is 500.

Isnt this a bit high?

Alk is 6 and CA is 500
It is a bit on the high range. As Steve mentioned, keeping them balanced is the key. I try to keep my ALK at 3.6-4 and CA at 420-450.

zacdl said:
Anyway where SHOULD the Iodine be at so I can test and see if it is too low?
If you had the proper test kit that could measure all forms of iodine, 0.06 ppm.

Cheers
Steve

Have you started dosing already? Alk and Ca that high without dosing would make me suspect of the test results.

As for iodine it helps significantly with Xenia growth - I dose, it grows. I don't dose - it still grows, just not the rapid-duplicating-monster.

If you can test for it - as Steve said above, total iodine levels - add a half-capful and test it in two hours. Keep it at that level. But then again -- 30g tank... I'd be too scared to dose anything with that little water. :| Unless you're interested in Xenia growth, or you just dont want your test kit to go to waste (;)) -- dont dose iodine. :p

Back
Top Bottom