where to place a pulsing zenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
got a zenia in the mail, can someone give me some ideas on where and how to put it in the tank so it stays put...

middle to high on LR, with high flow. Ive heard placing lower in the tank it tends to spread up smothering other corals, but my xenia has not expanded like that and its middle tank. I wish it would spread a little :p

how did you place it in the tank? My snail has a tendency to be a little rough by knocking frags where I cannot reach them..small snail, acts like a big turbo

You can put it in a pile of rock rubble and let it attach, then move it upwards in the tank. That is the only way I have been able to attach Xenia to rock...let it do its own thing.

If you want to segregate it from your main structure you can create a bommy in the sand. To attach to live rock, a petri dish with a mesh net over the top, acting as a dome, will keep it from drifting. You can use a toothpick or even a needle (better piercing) through the stalk to pin it in place. I've also successfully dried the bottom stalk, dry a rock fragment, and use super glue gel to glue it in place. The glue will dry in under 1min if you don't overuse it :)

Super glue works great....but I've found that you need to get the GEL....once you paste that on, let it sit for about a minute and it's ok to go in the water (it may still be a little loose but it'll harden).

Yeah, be careful of what you wish for....I put a really small stem in a 3/4" PVC plug last week...I mean it barely took up a 1/4 of it.....now it's almost covering the whole thing and I need to move it before it covers my other corals.

Neat stuff though when you watch it!

i have mine somewhat high (biocube 14 not a whole lot of room) and its begun to grow spectaularly in only a week or two (which i do love, favorite coral, bar none)

but then again my lighting is pretty poor for what id like, but pom pom xenia is definitely a pretty coral, besides my trident zoas (name aptly from the store i got them "trident pets" since i dont know the real name) id love it to grow ALL over my tank, itd be beautiful, and believe me i do want it.

besides those two id love an acan lord, but i highly doubt my tank has strong enough lighting, and i dont want to modify

Back
Top Bottom