where to place holes on a new marine aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I'm just about to purchase a new aquarium for fish and live rock (with corals down the road) and was wondering where the holes should be on the display tank? How many? Looking to do a sump below the display hidden by a cabinet. Thanks so much...

Steve

Consider buying a "Reef Ready" tank which is pre-drilled and had a overflow built in, it will save you some initial headache and planning. Several different manufactures carry their own version.

If you are buying a new tank definitely go with a reef-ready one. I drilled my old 90G to make an overflow and it wasn`t all that easy. It took a long time to find a drill bit of the right size, then get the plumber`s putty, then get some thick glass to do a test hole, and then the real thing.

Also, make sure that the glass on your tank is not tempered. If you try to drill tempered glass it will shatter.

thanks for the update. So what about all this talk of when the power goes out and the pumps stop. So all the water to the bottom of the slits goes down to the sump? Yes?

Steve

There are pipes behind those black covers. You can't see them but they are there. The water will only go to the opening on the pipes.

Just to be safe i will mention this. Don't ever try to drill the bottom of a tank your self. Most (larger then 30-40 gallons) have tempered glass on the bottom that cannot be drilled with out cracking. The sides are fair game.

Back
Top Bottom