Where To Start?.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphy

Aquarium Advice Regular
:oops: Hi, I have kept FW fish for 20 yrs and would like to start a reef tank. I have a 100 gal tank drilled in the bottom with a 35 gal wet/dry sump just lying around in my basement. Where do I start?. I need some opinions on what to use. A plenum, under gravel filter, thin or thick sand bed?. Wet/dry or just a sump with a skimmer? :wink:

WOW 8O , not starting small but big is better :lol: .
I will be keeping my eyes peeled on this one as I wish to start one in the near future and this would greatly help, I have been in FW now for about a year :( .
Wish it had been longer.

You definitly got a nice spot to start from with that tank alread being drilled. What you need to do now is research...research...and then research some more. The more you know the better you will do especailly in the begining.

The first thing you want to research is "THE CYCLE". learn as much as you can about it and the different was to complete it. and then come back to us and ask about the next step

Murphy said:
:oops: Hi, I have kept FW fish for 20 yrs and would like to start a reef tank. I have a 100 gal tank drilled in the bottom with a 35 gal wet/dry sump just lying around in my basement. Where do I start?. I need some opinions on what to use. A plenum, under gravel filter, thin or thick sand bed?. Wet/dry or just a sump with a skimmer? :wink:

Toss the UGF out the window.

LIve rock and Live sand (3-4" deep) is the route to take IMO.

Sump with a skimmer. No need for bio balls since you want a reef.

I would shoot for 100-150lbs of LR and 3-4" sand bed with 300-500W of lighting and your 35 gal wet/dry (remove the bioballs) so now its a sump.

Put the skimmer in the sump along with your heaters and presto you on your way.

;)

fishfreek said:
Put the skimmer in the sump along with your heaters and presto you on your way.

;)

I know what Fishfreek said, but what he really meant was "in four or eight weeks you're on your way" ;)

The saltwater Nitrogen cycle is a lot more unpredictable that the Sweetwater cycle.

Thanks guy.

Yes. I was not implyting that PRESTO the tank is ready for fish and corals.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! :D I have read so many different opinions about setting up, that I was overwhelmed. Some people swear by plenums, others say to go with a shallow bed of sand which makes it difficult to decide what is right. I guess everbody has had some success with each of the different ways!. I'm thinking of pumping the water up through the hole in the tank, to a manifold that will go accross the back of the tank to help the water flow behind the live rock.What do you think?.

Is it necessary to have a tank that is 'drilled' tank?
Would a pump and stuff not be OK to hang off the back? Or is it personal preferance?
Only reason I am asking is because I am having a custom built 45/50G tank built next year and if I know the basics then I can specify when I put the request in.

I would suggest reading "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". This could save you a lot of money in the long run in terms of buying equipment that is underrated or not needed. Reef tanks are still an art form and not a science, so there are many ways to get one working. I've had reef tanks since 1979 and I've made just about any mistake anyone could ;)

My current setup is a 155 Reef Ready (drilled, built in overflows) with a 3.5" sandbed and 200 pounds of aquacultured live rock. I also run a large refugium which I highly recommend.

Somethingfishy - No. A drilled tank is not required. Hang-on overflows work. After having a Reef Ready tank I would never consider anything else. There is minimal chance of having a spill where hang-on overflows must be diligently maintained.

Back
Top Bottom