Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Which anemone.

Hello. I have a 300l tank that's 12 months old. It has a cherub angel, 3 blue chromis, 2 common clowns, a blackeye goby a hermit crab and 2 peppermint shrimp in it as well as a sea hare. I want to put an anemone in, but want one that is fairly easy to keep and the clowns will like. I would like to start putting corals in shortly and perhaps a few other fish. What anemone would you suggest? And any ideas on corals on fish. I would like a mandarin goby? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you ever kept a reef tank before? And what lights are you using?

Old 08-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #3

No to a reef tank hence why I want to start off with easier stock. I currently have 4 T5's 2 normal and 2 blue.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok nems are not "easier stock", they are among the most difficult animals to keep in an aquarium. In addition your lighting isn't strong enough for a nem. Start with soft corals and work your way up from there, if you want some thing that moves in the current a little you could also try one of the euphillia family (torch, frogspawn, or hammer) they're easy and hardy lps. As far as nems go, IMHO if you can't keep sps growing and happy you shouldn't even think about trying a nem.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #5

Thanks for your advice. Am I right in thinking that sps need intense light. I will upgrade my lights but want to save up and get some decent ones.

So would I be best to get some lps or the ones you mentioned. What are your thoughts on polpys. I want to start covering the live rock a little so don't want anything that's going to take over the tank but you are correct I want something that will add character and movement in the tank. I've also got a pair of wave makers and I operate a sump so the water movement is quite good.

Thanks, I'm sure I will ask more questions. Lol.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Polyps, lps and such should be fine. If you got 2 more t5 bulbs you could definitely keep a bubble tip nem.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep zoas have become my latest obsession, they come in pretty much any color combination you can imagine. Ricordea, rhodactis and toadstool mushrooms are all nice too, a nice big toadstool would probably entice the clowns too. Acans and the euphies I mentioned earlier are both real easy to care for lps that look great.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #8

That's great. I'm fine with fish but to be honest corals, polyps, anemone and all that I'm completely new to but there as interesting as the fish and a hobby in themselves. I always thought it was odd anybody who just had tanks full of "plants", but when you investigate them there as complicated and interesting as the fish. I'll go through all your suggestions with the help of google. Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

don't waste your money adding more t 5's just go and get a metal halide , cheaper and more light
Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICEY View Post
don't waste your money adding more t 5's just go and get a metal halide , cheaper and more light
Adding two more t5s is much cheaper than buying 250-400 watt halide... If you really want to switch lights go buy 2 120 watt eBay led panels. Will last much longer than halides or t5s. And will save you more money.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com