Which comes first sand or water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting cured water from a friend of mine, which should I add first as a rule the sand or water?

There isn't such a thing as "cured" water. Water has very little if any bacteria and nothing to "die-off" so it doesn't have to be cured.

I always add the water then the sand.

Same here...I had my tank up and running with SW only for a few days to make sure the SG was correct before I added the sand.

He told me that he is currently using the said water and he is going to sell me for a small fee with cured live rock, so i assumed I would be able to put in the fish the same time since I am also getting the fish from him. All of this of course is being done for a small fee.

What size is your tank and how many lbs of lr? Any other filtration i.e canister/HOB filter or skimmer? If lr isn't removed from water for long, it's enough for your tank, and nh3/no2 test a 0 ppm after 3 days then I'd add 1 fish but not in the same day.

Also making your own SW versus moving your friends is usually easier.

Yea I add the water then use a large dia. PVC pipe to put the sand directly on the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom