Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
not this subject again LOL

Dude, ask yourself one thing...if you have even gone diving or seen reefs on TV....do you ever see crushed coral on the ocean floor? no....you see sand....fine sand with frag of rock and a few shells here and there.

I personally believe (the reason why I got into this hobby) we as saltwater aquariumist try/strive to duplicate what beautiful mother nature has already proven in our tanks. I want my tank to look as close to diving down on a natural reef....

So....in short, its a judgement call on what you want and think of this hobby.
(sorry for the preaching but this subject is a dead horse and it keeps gettin kicked, poor horse...die in peace)

Old 05-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
have a combination. I need more LS to lay on top of all the CC.. CC collects crazy detritus! Yuck!
With the sand being much smaller then the CC, it will just settle to the bottom and the CC will still remain on the top. It is a no-win battle in that reguard.

Old 05-24-2005, 05:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsont74
not this subject again LOL

Dude, ask yourself one thing...if you have even gone diving or seen reefs on TV....do you ever see crushed coral on the ocean floor? no....you see sand....fine sand with frag of rock and a few shells here and there.

I personally believe (the reason why I got into this hobby) we as saltwater aquariumist try/strive to duplicate what beautiful mother nature has already proven in our tanks. I want my tank to look as close to diving down on a natural reef....

So....in short, its a judgement call on what you want and think of this hobby.
(sorry for the preaching but this subject is a dead horse and it keeps gettin kicked, poor horse...die in peace)
The problem is that when I started a SW tank 10 years ago I was told I couldn't use sand in a SW tank which made no sense whatsoever. If there's sand in the ocean, why can't I use sand in my tank? They said it would lower the Ph and crushed coral HAD to be used. Of all the people I talked to, not one person ever even made mention of a "protein skimmer" either. The hobby has advanced since then.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #14

I prefer sand myself but wanted to know why others use what they do thanks for the responses all 8)
Old 05-25-2005, 12:55 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Sand. Detritus cannot find its way into it so its easy for my to clean. And my powerheads just push it into the left hand cornor so its easy cleanup for me. Plus I had crushed argonite before sand and didnt like the look.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com