which dwarf angelfish did you like better coral beauty or flame angel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnatbhs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
flame or coral? for a 55 gallon

i would say both but it would not work right?

I like the coral beauty even though I have had both. If this is a coral tank you might not be able to keep either.

Flame here...I figure since I can't keep either I may as well pick the nastier of the two.;)

The nastier do you mean meaner or unfriendly to the reef. The flame usually gets better reviews as being more stable in a reef environment. The coral beauty seems to be hit or miss.

By more stable do you mean...100% not reef friendly. I think the flame is a rougher fish.

Really? I was going by what I have gathered. I thought most reefers who wanted a dwarf would get a flame angel. Coral beauties eat button polyps and such where as a flame might only be destructive. I dont know I dont own either.

So what's the difference. Both are bad for the reef tank, Unless you have a hugh tank and then it does not matter.

I`ve had both nip at corals in my tank. The flame took four years before he started nipping but when he did he almost wrecked my reef. The coral beauty started immediately like you said nipping at polyps.

I disagree and wouldn't have a reef without a dwarf angel. Sure, their dietary needs may influence picking at coral polyps, but I wouldn't characterize the entire Family as "reef wreckers" because of it. As for the fish, it has always been generalized that Flame's are not as hardy as Coral Beauty's and I have yet to find disagreement personally.

but I wouldn't characterize the entire Family as "reef wreckers" because of it.

And even though I do agree with you that we should not stereotype all angels because all fish are different, I have in my life had 3 dwarf angel and all three had to be ejected for eating corals. Experience will win out for my tank. What someone else does is up to them. I`m not discrediting anybody just saying where I`m coming from.

Back
Top Bottom