Which Filter ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2nicewitit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of setting up my SW tank, been slowly but surely bit getting each piece, bit by bit. I've heard different sotries w/ filters. I've already determined that i dont have enough room for a sump, so i was told by a rep at Big Al's the eheim 2227 is basically the ONLY filter i could use in the event of me not having a sump beacuse of its ability to break down nitrates so quickly.

Can anyone recomend a particluar brand of canister for SW.

:confused::confused:

Thanks,

Canister filters don't break down nitrates. What size tank is this for?

Canister filters don't break down nitrates. What size tank is this for?

I wouldn't say they don't break down nitrates...I think they aren't as good at it as other methods....

I agree with Scott, Fluval is a good option, though I prefer more natural approaches to filtration in the SW aquarium.

Welcome to AA. A good Biological filtration team of 1.5 - 2 lbs of LR and a skimmer will work better IMO. Also some PH`s to push the water around. That`s what I did for 7 yrs.

BioFiltration

Welcome to AA. A good Biological filtration team of 1.5 - 2 lbs of LR and a skimmer will work better IMO. Also some PH`s to push the water around. That`s what I did for 7 yrs.

BioFiltration

Its a 46 gallon bow tank. So are you saying with the right amount of live rock i dont need any type of filter what so ever??? :-D

The only difference between the two is the 04 is last year's model (or maybe even a 2 year older model) and the 05s are easier to open (not a real big deal). If I was looking to save some $$$ I would go with the 04.

Its a 46 gallon bow tank. So are you saying with the right amount of live rock i dont need any type of filter what so ever??? :-D

That is exactly what he is saying. Most of us do not use any form of mechanical filtration on our tanks. I have a 120 with a little over 240lbs of rock in it and about 80lbs more in my sump. I have a large fuge and a large skimmer and that is all I do for filtration. You will find that the natural approach is a far better option to keeping a balanced aquarium.

I define a skimmer as the man made version of the beach. Think about the froth and foam that is created by a wave crashing on the beach. Well our skimmers do that....

I agree the beach is a filter...sand bed and all...the waves that crash on the beach are also part of the filtration process....

That is all you need. No canister or filter is needed. LR + skimmer + some flow= all the filtration you need. 7 yrs of experience. Now I have LR + skimmer+ refugium+flow.

I think the point we were trying to make is the one could consider a skimmer a type of filter, thus throwing out of whack the 'all natural' approach. Philosophical point

Well I can see your point. I dont consider it a filter but it really doesnt matter. I`m mainly telling what works for me and what I will continue to use. We could debate for a long time but it really matters not.

I do take the other approach. I run a filter and not a skimmer. I also don't have a reef set up yet.
I agree mike we could probably go on and on and it wouldn't help the OP.
Ok, back on topic.

Back
Top Bottom