Which mantis shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to decide if I should get a purple spot mantis or a peacock. I have a 50 gallon so neither space nor price is an issue. I'm wondering if there are any differences between the two species that would make me sway towards one in particular.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I loved my peacock he was a great resident in my 280. I never owned the other but my peacock took up resident under my BTA and they lived that way for 10 yrs. But than again my peacock was a hitchhiker too :). Only thing I have to say is make sure you get live food to enrich him or her they are very smart. I used to give him live clams and mussels and sardines. I miss my guy and my large tank lol

iPhone 5s has taking over lol

I'm planning on buying frozen clams and muscles at the supermarket to use as a staple diet. Is there any live food that the isn't too expensive? Can I feed him freshwater snails?

Oh and I've decided to get the Peacock btw. A store near me has one that came in as a hitchhiker in their 400gallon reef tank. I gave them my number if they catch him but I can't imagine trying to catch a 3.5inch Peacock in a 400gallon tank lol

If they don't get him the first time they will never get him they are that smart. I would not do snails see he will than think he can go after the ones in the tank. I only fed live twice a month and it was only 3 live creatures each time. His main diet was frozen or home made food.

Mine never did than again I target fed him twice a day so I think that is why plus he cleaned up what my BTA did not eat.

Would it be a bad idea to put 2 percula clowns in a 55g with a peacock?

There's a good chance it should be fine, can't say for 100% though. Peacocks being "smashers" generally prefer inverts, but as I've said a bunch if times don't put anything in with a mantis that your not comfortable loosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If they are healthily and smart it should be find but its up to you mine only got fish if they where dying and landed near his cave.

He's only 2 inches so I might have the clowns a try

There's a good chance it should be fine, can't say for 100% though. Peacocks being "smashers" generally prefer inverts, but as I've said a bunch if times don't put anything in with a mantis that your not comfortable loosing.

I couldn't agree more. It's been discuses many times that it SHOULD be a species only tank as brought up in many of your threads.

He's only 2 inches so I might have the clowns a try

What happens when it grows up ??? Save the fish from a more than likely death and just send me a money order. I can use it for some more corals.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Back
Top Bottom