Which method to use??? Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have recently quarantined my fish in a spare 40 gal, Now ive decided to either treat the marine ich with hypo or with cupramine.

Ive been recommended on both... The problem for the hypo is i only have the coral life deep six hydrometer... and ive been told i need to have a refractometer or pinpoint salinity tester etc...

The other problem with hypo for me, is that i have 2 diferent stories of how to do it.

1. The forum: tells me to lower salinity gradually over a week from 1.023 to 1.009 and let it stay there for a week then to bring it back up in a weeks time... so total of 3 weeks

2. The Local Fish store says: I only need to lower it to 1.017 and to lower it gradually within a weeks time and o leave it for a week then bring it back up in a weeks time? again total of 3 weeks...

which is correct????

Do u guys recommend cupramine if this is my situation?

Also told me to keep my display tank fishless for 30 days to kill the ich...

I have purple tang
clown tang
pair black clowns
fairy wrasse
few goby's
a blenny

The forum: tells me to lower salinity gradually over a week from 1.023 to 1.009 and let it stay there for a week then to bring it back up in a weeks time... so total of 3 weeks
You can bring it down to the 1.009 level over the course of 2 day with a series of water changes. You would then leave it at this level for a period no less that 4 weeks. Then you gradually raise it at a pace of 0.001 per day. Watch the PH during the treatment, it has a tendency to fall during the period of transition.
The Local Fish store says: I only need to lower it to 1.017 and to lower it gradually within a weeks time and o leave it for a week then bring it back up in a weeks time? again total of 3 weeks...
Won't do a thing , not low enough to disrupt the life cycle.

would it be safe to do with my hydrometer?
The best would be to get yourself a good refractometer. Swing arm hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

Also told me to keep my display tank fishless for 30 days to kill the ich...
I would go at least 6 weeks. 4 weeks has a recent history of not being long enough.

Do u guys recommend cupramine if this is my situation?
Also a good treatment. Just be sure to have seachems multitest kit for copper to monitor the treatment level.

Back
Top Bottom