Which one first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im going to be stocking my tank soon and was just wondering which should be added first, live rock or the sand? I had a 30 gal a while back and added the san 1st then cured the LR in the tank. Does it really matter which one goes first? I am planning on getting the sand 1st and adding the rock a week or 2 later. Will the curing of the LR hurt anything in the sand? I was reading about Dr. fosters and Smith's livesand and they mentioned something about putting it in the tank after the tank has been cured.

The rationale I have heard as far as putting the rock first is that if the rock is set on top of the sand, it would shift over time.

I put my sand in first and then put rock on top. I`m taking it your tank has not cycled so just cure your LR while you cycle the tank. And make sure you cycle the fishless way. It in the articles above

Sand, then rock... don't wanna have to clean things up later for no reason :)

cplawrence said:
The rationale I have heard as far as putting the rock first is that if the rock is set on top of the sand, it would shift over time.
You can keep them raised on PVC to prevent that.

Back
Top Bottom