Which purchase first? RO/DI unit, LR, PC lights, or skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which purchase first? RO/DI unit, LR, PC lighting, or skimmer?

• You need the RO/DI Unit first to have that great water quality!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You need the Aqua C Remora skimmer for sure first.

• Get the 60 pounds of LR from LR's.com first, for bio-filtration.

• Get the 4x96 Coralife PC lighting first, then the LR, then others.

• Total voters

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

Saved up some money, so it's time to go to the LFS! :roll:

Anyway, I have another 55gal I'm setting up and I need to get some stuff.

I plan on getting either:
- Aqua C Remora skimmer
- 60 pounds of LR from LR's.com
- 4x96 Coralife PC lighting
- or a RO/DI unit.

I only have $$ to buy one thing- so which is the best to get first? Here are my thoughts:

The skimmer to make sure I have clean/clear water first.
The LR so that the tank will acclimate and get the natural bio-filtration in there first.
The PC lighting because I need that before I put the LR in.
A RO/DI unit because trips to the LFS get old real quick, and nothing is more important than clean RO/DI water for water changes and topoffs.

What do you think?

I voted for the RO/DI.

Why?

1. Looks like you have multiple tanks...and all tanks can benefit
2. Will save money in long run..not buying from LFS
3. You LR and future inhabitants will thank you (by living a less stressed life)

Also...don't break the bank on an RO/DI. I got the $90 filterdirect RO/DI from Ebay...and it is doing a great job.

Then....

2. LR: I would get the LR...as many people say not to Skim while tank is cycling/rock curing
3. Remora: Cause after the cycle you will want to get rid of the dissolved organics from cycle
4. Light: Fish, cleaning crews don't need much light. I hope you have another light you could use while saving for the PC light. You would like to at least see your inhabitants.

WC

1. I agree the RO/DI unit will benifit all your current tanks (you can even use it for yourself if your tap is bad enough) and should be first, Darin got me a great deal on CaptiveReefs.com.

2/3. LR/Protien Skimmer, I don't know too much about wether it makes huge difference which goes on first I'm some of he more experience members will chime in on this.

4. Lighting, anything that requires high intensity lighting is going to need a least sightly mature tank so you have time before you will really need it, coralline can grow under NO lights.

I think the LR would come first... You don't need special lighting for LR and RO water you can buy cheaply... RO/DI units waste aprox 3 gallons for every 1 gallon it processes...

Lighting can be bought next after you get your rock... The rock will speed along your cycle and you will be one step closer to having a setup tank... :p

I say RO/DI first. You can have fish without rock, without special lighting, and without a skimmer. What do fish live in? Water. Good water is as important, if not more important, than a nice looking tank.

IMO, get a RO/DI unit, then go for the rock. Your fish will thank you :mrgreen:

RO/DI, water is the most important thing is setting up a tank. Bad water can bring on algae issues covering that nice LR you bought causing you problems that last months and months trying to get the problem algae out of the tank.

RO/DI
Skimmer to help remove waste when you add the lr you will need this to help cure/remove waste for the die off of the lr. With out you will be doing a lot of water changes to help keep water parameters right.
LR best natural filtration a tank can have
Lights

I would have to say LR. Since you can and have been getting your water from the lfs. Next would be skimmer, lights, and the ro/di. IMO. :wink:

Reason: With the LR your bio filtration will establish and your good to go with fish.

I am going to go with the RO/DI system.

Not only is it great for your tank, but the water is mighty tasty!

Also listen to White Cloud on this. I really agree with everything he says about this thread.

I say go with the lighting first, because with any of the others you might be tempted to stock your tank just that much faster and that would be a bummer. Better to start slow and work your way up to having ALL the equipment you need first before ever adding ANYTHING. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom