Which reef supplements ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

la9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setting up a reef and wondering what to do as far as supplements.

Here is what I'm thinking am I right or wrong ?

The salt mix should provide most of what I need so doing regular water changes should take care of most of it. I am using aragonite for substrate so it should help buffer and provide calcium. I'm cycling the tank now with live rock so after it is done cycling and my nitrites and nitrates are in check I just need to keep an eye on PH and Calcium levels and as long as they stay in the proper range everything should be OK ?

Or do I need to dose regularly with supplements ?

Thanks for the help

calcium and alkalinity work together so you need to test for both. What type of corals are you thinking of having. this can make a difference

Water changes will take care of most trace elements.To maintain calcium and alkalinity I would recomends a 2 part Calcium and alkalinity additive like B-ionic.

This is my first reef so I'm keeping it simple. I'll probably stick with Green Star Polyps, maybe a leather and some mushroom corals. Also would like to keep the coraline algae on my rock growing.

What water tests will I need to perform on the new reef ? So I know which kit to order. Is there a good article on water chemistry someone can point me to ?

I just want to get it right.

Thanks everyone.

I would start with the calcium and alkalinity test kits for what your looking to have.
Cal should be around 400-450 and alk around 9.6-11.5 range from what I have read. This is where I keep mine with no problems.
Adding 2 part B-Ionic has worked well for me, I also add either DT's phytoplankton or Liquid life coral and bio plankton and my corals responde well to it. Some will say you do not need to add anything because the corals will get what they need from the lights. But for me and others in my reef club we all add some type of phytoplankton and we all have good results with coral growth. Keep doing your homework and you will make out fine.
Google your topic and you should get some hits

I'm using IO too.

I'm changing over to Tropic Marin Pro Reef (new) before I get my corals (softies/polyps/shrooms) because it's got a better balance of major (calcium etc.) and trace elements in it that will mean your reef is healthier and PERHAPS you won't need to dose calcium. You'll have to find out though - monitor calcium closely and take action if neccessary. But changing over will definitely give you a better chance - no-one wants to dose anything if we can avoid it, because overdosing often has MUCH worse consequences than the slight problem we're trying to correct or tweak in the first place :p That's not to say IO is inferior, but the TMPR is designed specifically for reef tanks.

I recommend changing over to the Tropic Marin! :)

For a new reef you want to check calcium, alkalinity, nitrate, PH and phosphate. You also want to test for ammonia/nitrite at the begining to knoiw when your cycle has completed. Stick with Seachem or salifert test kits and you will be OK!

I really like my seaChem test kits. I use the Reef Success Calcium kit they make...it detects calcium levels accurately despite magnesium levels. Some cheap kits are skewed by magnesium levels (I can't explain why though).

I'd switch from instant ocean as soon as you can. I started with IO, and I only have a few cups left...then I'll be 100% Oceanic brand, which is supposed to have better calcium levels (judging by what people on the forum claim).

I would really only worry about calcium and a KH buffer for 'supplements'. If you do regular water changes, iodine shouldn't be needed...same with strontium (these are for the pros who have such elaborate setups that they don't really do many water changes, so they need the supps...and because they likely have difficult inverts that have more demands).

Back
Top Bottom