Which regium to add to 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smarkalan83

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently have a 55g which has been up and running for over 2 years I want to add a sump or refugium to the tank to help out ... I have on there now a marineland bio wheel 350 and CPR dual bak pak skimmer ... I would like to use the skimmer in the refugium but have no idea which one to get or if the skimmer would fit ... Every store I go to says to make one but I would rather have one already completed... Here are the questions I have since I am not too familiar with dumps or refugiums...

1 should I get just a sump or a refugium
2 is there one big enough to for CPR dual bak pak skimmer
3 is it hard to use sump with non drilled tank
4 any links or place I can find one would be great
Thanks for any and all help!

Currently in tank
3 clowns
1 mandarin
3 damsels
2 leathers
Few mushroom colony's
Few Zoa. Colony's
Green star polyps
Duncan's
Xenia which is shrinking and dying off don't know why ...( I know a lot of people don't like Xenia but I would live for it to spread through my tank but for 2 years have no luck any ideas why

2-54w t5
1-48" reef capable led w 54-1w LEDs
Bio wheel 350
Dual bak pak
1100gph powerhead

0 nitrates
0 nitrites
0 ammonia
0 phosphates
81 degrees
440-460 calcium
10 alkalinity
8.2-8.3 ph

Hope that's enough info thanks again!!!

Currently have a 55g which has been up and running for over 2 years I want to add a sump or refugium to the tank to help out ... I have on there now a marineland bio wheel 350 and CPR dual bak pak skimmer ... I would like to use the skimmer in the refugium but have no idea which one to get or if the skimmer would fit ... Every store I go to says to make one but I would rather have one already completed... Here are the questions I have since I am not too familiar with dumps or refugiums...

Currently in tank
3 clowns
1 mandarin
3 damsels
2 leathers
Few mushroom colony's
Few Zoa. Colony's
Green star polyps
Duncan's
Xenia which is shrinking and dying off don't know why ...( I know a lot of people don't like Xenia but I would live for it to spread through my tank but for 2 years have no luck any ideas why

2-54w t5
Bio wheel 350
Dual bak pak
1100gph powerhead

0 nitrates
0 nitrites
0 ammonia
0 phosphates
81 degrees
440-460 calcium
10 alkalinity
8.2-8.3 ph

You would need hob overflow i used eshopps dual overflow on a previous build its really not hard to build a sump just get a 30g long and have a glass shop cut baffles heres a pic of a good design

Attachments

• _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 74

Currently in tank
3 clowns
1 mandarin
3 damsels
2 leathers
Few mushroom colony's
Few Zoa. Colony's
Green star polyps
Duncan's

2-54w t5
Bio wheel 350
Dual bak pak
1100gph powerhead

0 nitrates
0 nitrites
0 ammonia
0 phosphates
81 degrees
440-460 calcium
10 alkalinity
8.2-8.3 ph

Btw parameters look real good whats the reason for change?

For some reason I cannot get rid of hair algae I have been trying everything changing water 2-3 x a week was told to replace t5 bulbs took water to lfs double check he said my alk was 7-8 gave me a buffer to raise but it is still there plus I would like not to have to see all the equipment in the up close pic I attached you can see how small the Xenia got and also some of the hair algae .... Any other suggestions

Attachments

• image-3206839027.jpg
    image-3206839027.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2110285118.jpg
    image-2110285118.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 77
For some reason I cannot get rid of hair algae I have been trying everything changing water 2-3 x a week was told to replace t5 bulbs took water to lfs double check he said my alk was 7-8 gave me a buffer to raise but it is still there plus I would like not to have to see all the equipment in the up close pic I attached you can see how small the Xenia got and also some of the hair algae .... Any other suggestions

Id say do the fugi chaeto will take care of your nitrate which is most likely the cause for hair algae

Not weekly I usually change one filter cartridge every 2-3 wks then I will change the other after never change both at same time I was told it was bad to do so ... And also my nitrate reading is 0

Not weekly I usually change one filter cartridge every 2-3 wks then I will change the other after never change both at same time I was told it was bad to do so ... And also my nitrate reading is 0

Nitrates read 0 because the algae is consuming it which is why you have algae id be willing to bet its coming from the filter its my understanding that those filters need weekly cleaning or itll produce nitrate a sump/fugi will solve that problem

Do you know anywhere where I can get a pre made refugium that will be able to house the dual bak pack skimmer and I wont be able to do refugium until after Xmas will my corals and fish be okay w the hair algae until then

Do you know anywhere where I can get a pre made refugium that will be able to house the dual bak pack skimmer and I wont be able to do refugium until after Xmas will my corals and fish be okay w the hair algae until then

Id check ebay but youd save alot of money by building one and their not hard to make

I paid almost 200$ for a prebuilt acrylic one this last setup i built one 3x as big for like 100$ try this until you get fugi going toss a piece of chaeto into display in high flow ares it will help consume nutrients and your fish and coral will be fine unless it starts to grow over the coral also remove as much as you can pulling by hand this will help in removing nutrients

I don't know the difference between these and your regular t5 or led lights.

Im sorry which lights were you asking about my display lights are actinics 10hours and whites 6hours a day and then fugi is as i said 24/7

I have actinics and whites in the t5 as well as led come on at 1130 go off 800

Back
Top Bottom