Which Salt is Best? Answer inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that they thought that you were somebody paid to push a certain product. I am pretty new here but I have had nothing but great people trying to help me. You got to understand that people, troll, and spam sites like these all the time. Don't leave now, get to know everybody. I am 100% sure that they really didnt know.

Welcome though!!! I am glad to meet you. (online that is) :wink: :wink:

William said:
With his first posts like this, Sounds like he's just someone hired to go around and post this stuff.
Yes, that's why the first post recommended 2 competing companies (Crystal Sea and Bio-Sea). Hmmn that makes perfect sense :roll:

"Uh..I was hired by Crystal Sea to promote their salt and a competitors! uh no wait that's not right..." :roll:

"Uh...I was hired by Bio-Sea to promote THEIR salt and Crystal Sea's...a uh..competitor....no wait that's not right either..." :roll:

And then in my 2nd post, I said I researched it some more and found only those that had changed back and forth had problems..."so I was REALLY hired by Instant Ocean...no wait that's not right..." Sheesh. :roll:

If I post an article which compares Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Jockey, and Calvin Klein underwear, does that mean I'm working for one of those companies too? LoL!! :D

I should just let it go but as you can see I can't :D

(As you can see I also have a sense of humor) :D

revhtree said:
Welcome though!!! I am glad to meet you. (online that is) :wink: :wink:

Thanks! Nice to meet you too!

I'm just getting back into the hobby after being out of it for awhile. Starting small, going to work my way up. I just setup a 35gal Hex starter tank, used Coralife salt. After reading that article (and also that huge 1000-page thread that went back and forth - thanks to whoever posted that link) I still think I should've gone with either Crystal Sea or Bio-Sea. I'm afraid to switch now because it seems like those that start with the salts nearest natural sea water don't have problems, but if you switch from IO or Reef or whatever the invertebrates get shocked from the change. That's something I haven't seen before....

I hope you can understand we are all a bit stung from spam. If (and it sounds like we were) a bit premature in our judgement, then I am sorry and welcome you to our community. You will find some great people here with decades of wisdom.
Please stick around. You would not regret it, much good info and excellent advise to be had.

Large changes of any kind can have a negative effect on a tank, which causes the vast majority of issues. If someone is switching salt brands, they should acclimate their tank by doing small changes....to accomplish much the same effect as acclimating to new lighting.

I think it is best to use the best fresh ro water and stay consistent with your water changes. I have been using coralife since day one and I don't add anything else to my tank. I have a FO tank with 40 pounds of crushed coral and about 50 + pounds of coralline encrusted rock, both Marshal Island and Fiji.

I have a FO but do like to keep my saltwater at or above 35 ppt, 1.027.
I like to have my old fashioned hydrometer floating above the bottom of the green line.

That's my two cents on the matter...I work for AAA, need a tow? lol

I use Tropic Marine. It also has the fine suger size grains. I was hopeing to find some at one of our forums sponsor's sites. 200 G container of course.

Welcome BLack96 :smilecolros:

Welcome to AquariumAdvice Black96 :!: :mrgreen:
(I hope the rest of your stay here is a bit more welcoming :? )

I can confirm the shock from change bit. I had been using Crystal Reef from day one on my tank and things were doing fine, doing well even. I only have a few shrooms and some SPS hitchhikers that were about 1-2 square inches each. I came across a great deal on a bucket of Coralife salt. I had a bit of a brain fart, and the next time I did a water change I just used the coralife as I would have the Crystal Reef. Nothing died but boy did they react! Shrooms are notoriously difficult to kill but I swore I was going to have to yank the whole colony. For about thext month they hardly opened at all! My SPS colonies were practically unseen as well. i tested my water just about every other day and all measurements came out normal. I didn't know what to do but realized what had likely caused the issue So I hoped that simply giving them time to adjust was all they needed and preyed they would make it.

Well it's been another month and things have returned to normal. The shrooms are in full bloom again (and i think the darned things are starting to split again!) and my SPS hitchhikers are back to "normal" I could tell you what they were, if i knew lol.

So, in summary, yes, changing salt brands may lead to a shock. But if you acclimate the tank to the new chemistry you shouldn't have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom