Which salt is the best for reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm using insta ocean right now and just wondering when I finish the bucket of this salt to know which salt brand is better for reef.

Also, when I switch salts will that shock any of my fish/corals/inverts because it's a brand new type of salt?

This seemed to be a touchy subject for many here.
There are many that use the instant ocean, other use their reef crystals. I use the red sea coral pro and like it. You just want to test and make sure you're mg, kg, and calcium are at the levels you want them to be at. If your not getting enough with your salt you can always supplement .

You'll get as many opinions as there are brands of salt....... I personally use Red Sea CP myself as well. Dissolves well, mixes clean, no brown residue from anti-clumping agents, and good parameter readings....

OH NO not the which SW mix is the best question. LOL. I`m just kidding. This is one of those questions that if you ask 10 people you`ll get 11 answers. This question has been asked many times and if you do a search on the site here you`ll see a lot of reasons why people use what they use. IMO there is not a perfect mix out there. They all have their pro`s and con`s and really it`s up to you which one you get. Most people choose price and availability as factors in the solution.

The best salt it the one that is mixed to 1.026 SG and kept between 78 - 80.
With that being said, Instant Ocean is a perfectly fine salt to use.

If I were to switch salts will that effect my livestock? Like, my livestock is used to instant ocean salt so if I were to change salt would that effect them?

You should acclimate your tank to a new salt by slowly adding greater amounts of your new salt to the old salt with each pwc. With that being said, I switched straight from Kent Marine Reef over to Red Sea CP without any acclimation, and didn't have any problems......

The best salt it the one that is mixed to 1.026 SG and kept between 78 - 80.
With that being said, Instant Ocean is a perfectly fine salt to use.

I fully agree, almost any well known and used brand on the market is perfectly capable of maintaining a thriving reef.

Its not so much about levels as it is stability of those levels which is up to you not the salt brand.

I am using the Salinity, I had tried all other brands before and always end up with different issue. So far using Salinity for the last 8 months, I see no issue to my tank at all. However, they are a lot more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom