which salt it best to use??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcgray125

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I'm currently using Coralife salt and I'm wanting to switch to another one, does anyone know if any of these are as good as Coralife?
[FONT=&quot]Aquarium systems[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Red Sea[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kent Marine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sea Kemp[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Via Aqua[/FONT]
:confused:
thank you!!

Everyone has their favorite brand and asking which one is the best is a matter of opinion. I use Kent Marine and I am happy with it. I switched to it from Oceanic (calcium was high). My corals seem happy so I am happy. I'm not sure how it compares to Coralife though.

The best salt is the brand that you can get on a regular bases. You don't want to buy a brand and not be able to get more when you need to.

I'll say it... Salinity is the "best", but only because it gives you a batch by batch breakdown of the actual elements going into your tank. That can be important for folks with large SPS colonies / clams that do regular comprhensive dosing / testing.

I personally have used Oceanic and Seachem Reef with success (only bought the salinity because it was on special and 2 bucks cheaper than SR). I've also used Salinity and everything pretty much remained constant.

Like they said, the best salt is the salt that makes your animals happy and healthy, is available on a constant basis, and is at the price point you choose.

Careful before you start a religious war here.

I started with IO because that's what the lfs sold me. I tried several others including Oceanic (low pH); Kent (horrible quality control), and I have settled on Red Sea Coral Pro.

Is it the best? I don't know. But I get consistent results from it. That's what matters. Other subtle adjustments can be made.

This is one of those questions that if you asked 10 people you would get 11 different answers. There is no best SW mix or everyone would be using it. I use Oceanic because I like the calcium results. Do a search on the site here and you`ll see different threads on the subject and you`ll see why certain individuals use different brands.

The best thing to do is try different salts until you find the one that fits you the best. I started using Instant Ocean, went to Coralife, SeaChem Reef Salt (liked it best so far), just finished a container of Reef Crystals and getting ready to try Red Sea Coral Pro.

Back
Top Bottom