Which size, what fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know the going theory is bigger is better, but I have two little girls that are going to be in school full time next year with outside actvities. My time will be limited.

Right now I have a filter and heater that are large enough for a 29. I have them on a 20 freshy tank. At some point I want to switch to salt.

The only salt fish I know I want for sure is a clown. Love them! After that I like the purple firefish. Then things get sketchy as far as what I really know and like.

One option is to stick with the 20 and have the clown and firefish and a bit less water to move around for water changes. Would I have room for one more in there if I wanted?

Or, I can move up to a 29 and have more room, but I don't know what I would want or what would get along with the other two.

Any thoughts, or fish suggestions (think salt beginner)? :ermm:
Thanks!

You're on the correct track with your research..... If you know upfront that you aren't going to have much time to dedicate to it, I'd stick with a small FOWLR (recommend the 29) to learn on, and the clown & firefish are good ones to start with..... they'd be very happy in a tank that size. As you learn, you can move onward from there.

Would the clown fish and firefish be all for the 29? Or, could I add another kind later? It might be good to understock at first anyway, but two fish in a 29 seems really light. Especially when they are small.

I'd say you'd be safe with another small fish ... perhaps a goby.

But saltwater just doesn't hold as much dissolved O2 as fresh does, so you're stocking looks a lot smaller than what you can do with a freshwater tank.

I'd say you'd be safe with another small fish ... perhaps a goby.

I was thinking along the same lines with a goby..... maybe a yellow watchman.
3-4 small fish is a good bioload for a 29, especially if you think you may ever consider corals in the future..... which I can about guarantee you'll want to try it.

I was playing with Aqadvisor and every time I tried to put another goby with the firefish it said they would fight. I had never read about anything like this before. I kinda like the watchman goby or yellow clown, and both came up with warnings. I also kinda like the spotted pajama cardinal (not sure the correct name), and they did not appear on the Aqadvisor list at all. Would one of those go with the clown and firefish? And finally, I had forgotten about the coral beauty. One of the first salt fish I fell for. Could one of those go in a 29 somehow? I don't want to do them all at the same time, I know better. Just seein' who can and cannot fit it a 29, and any pros or cons with care of the fish I am liking right now. Thanks!

...I forgot one other question: I like the black clowns, too. But they are more expensive. If I started with a regular orange clown, could I add a black one later after I get the hang of tanking care of the salt tank?

yes, the Pajama Cardinals are extremely peaceful ... they get along fine with clowns and firefish ... In fact, I don't think they'd bother anything ... though some other fish would be likely to pick on them.
I have a school of them(5) with a pair of Clowns. (and 5 blue Chromis) They all get along fine.

In my 20L I had a skimmer for 55 and a 30 gallon hob filter and about 30 lbs lr and I had a blue headed wrasse ( gave away aggressive) , cherub angel , clown , algae blenny , longnose hawk , and gave away a Sargent major damsel. Took the two out for extra room but now I'm upgrading to a 72

Back
Top Bottom