Which Tank is Better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not into SW but I think the lights on the 1st one would be OK, the 75w heater must be a typo I assume?

They both seem like OK deals to me.

The 75 has power compact lighting which for that tank will do some soft and LPS corals. I dont even see any lighting on the 55 gallon. I say go with the 75 and that lighting will be ok to start with. You can always upgrade the lighting a year down the road. The sump is a bonus as it will provide added water volume. JMO

Ya the 55 does not come with lighting i would have to buy it seperatly

By upgrading the lighting how exactly would i do that? Get better bulbs, Overdrive it, or a completely new hood.

Yea, I'd do the 75 but expect to buy a bigger heater 300w or a second. Ditch the cc substrate and get sand. Also you might wanna beat the rush and replace the lamps if they can't tell you roughly how many hours they have on them. Might save you some algae issues during your startup (or limit them)

1.Could i put MH lamps in that setup im not exactly sure how those work?

2.I have heard of people putting cc in the sump would that be a good idea or just get rid of it completley?

3. should i keep the CPR Bak Pak 2 Protein skimmer?

4.So the live rock will serve as a biological filter and the skimmer serves as the mechanical filtration what do i get for chemicla filtration?

U can but generally speaking MH=$$$

I'd take the cc throw it in my garden, `till it under and forget I ever saw it.

I agree ditch the CC. LR and a skimmer will be all you need. You can buy some retro fits for better lighting that will be cheaper.

i dont have salt tank but tryed a few yrs back why no cc thats what i used back then?

alot of the waste settles into the nooks and crannies.. leading to high (higher) nitrates. Plus bottom dwellers (SW) prefer/need sand. For FW only the first point would apply to some degree. In a SW tank you don't vacum the substrate like you do/can in a FW tank

ohh maybe that explains why i didnt succeed tnks ..capt

Captain hit it on the head. They help to hold in waste and debris. Causes nitrates to rise. I have 200 lbs of LR in my tank so I`m not able to reach alot of my substrate to clean it but my gobies are able to reach it by their sand sifting activities.

ok i better get back to plant section after seeing your tank melosu i might wanna try again.

I`m sure it would but I dont have a canopy so mine fits on top of the tank and I put a reflector on top of the light. Look at my images and look for my tank and you`ll see what I`m talking about.
Thanks Brutus. Take another shot at it. We will guide you along.

Back
Top Bottom