Which test kits do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otrovago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm deciding between

Red Sea Test Kits - Marine Lab or Reef Lab
or
SeaChem Laboratories Test Kits - Marine Lab or Reef Lab

Is it better to buy the individual test? If so which ones do I need?

Red Sea Test Kits - Marine Lab or Reef Lab

Probably the worst kits available, stay away from these.

SeaChem Laboratories Test Kits - Marine Lab or Reef Lab

I think most people are happy with these, I've used the CA in the past and it was always accurate when testing the standard provided.

Another option is Salifert, I use these and they are very accurate and affordable ;)

I prefer to buy individual kits, so you get exactly what you need and don't have several kits you'll never use sitting around ;)

I'll pretty much echo what RR said. I use Salifert, Seachem are "okay", RedSea are horrid.

I have Nitrate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphate, Magnesium, Strontium, Silicate, and Iodine.
I have a pH monitor (Pinpoint), and a Salinity refractometer.

I'd say you need - Nitrate, Alk, Cal, & Phosphate. Magnesium is also good to have. Strontium and Iodine are next-to-impossible to test for, and the kits are very frustrating. Silicate - only if you are having diatom issues.
You'll definitely need something to test pH and salinity.

You'll also need an ammonia and nitrite kit if you haven't yet gone through a cycle.

HTH,

Could you fill us in on the "pH monitor," ReefLady? I'd be interested to see how much they cost, how difficult they are to set up, how large they are, what kind of upkeep they need, etc. I am also assuming this is something that sits on/in your tank/sump?

Gauge,

Here is a link to the pH monitor we bought: -->Pinpoint pH monitor with probe at Premium Aquatics

That link will give you the price & some basic info.

They're not hard at all to set up - you need to initially calibrate with some fluid (which comes with the monitor), and then probe in the sump, monitor where it is convenient/visible for you.

As far as upkeep, we calibrate ours every 4 mos. They need battery replacing now and then, but that's because we keep our display on constantly. If you prefer, there is an 'on/off' switch that gives you the option to trun the LED display on or off at will.

Our probe sits in our sump. The probe cannot be allowed to dry out, but you could also place it in the display tank.

We bought ours when we built our calcium reactor - pH test kits didn't measure pH at the levels we needed to test. I love it though, since pH varies constantly from before lights on to just before lights out, I can glance at it whenever I want to make sure everything is "okay". It is also very accurate.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom