Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Piedmont, NC
Posts: 4,580
There is not a cut/dry rule for fish. It depends on the type of fish and bioload they produce. The most I would probably put in a 29 is a pair of clowns. The small fish per 5 gal is way off.
__________________

__________________
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Warrensburg, IL
Posts: 568
Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Brenden,

You said 2 clowns for fish, would I still be able to put the fire shrimp, and the chocolate starfish, or are you suggesting 2 clowns, and 2 clowns only?


P.S. Is there another type of fish that looks similar to a butterfly or angel fish, but that is of a smaller type?


P.P.S. How long would it take for a butterfly fish that is about the size of a silver dollar to become full grown?


Thanks,

-TheChad
__________________

__________________
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Genesee Valley
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
You are saying you can only have 2 small fish in a 29 gallon tank? That doesn't seam right!? I was under the impression it was one small fish for every 5 gallons, and all the LFS have said you could have 1 large fish.

I am not saying you are wrong, i'm just asking because 2 small fish for a 29 gallon tank just seams a little crazy...
The general rule is 5 gallons for each inch of full grown fish. (Unless you're counting on fish death or aquarium upgrades, you need to count the full grown size rather than the current size.)

True Percula Clownfish, among the smallest clownfish, can grow to 3" at adult size. Thier social order affects thier growth, so with a pair of clownfish, you end up with a bit less than 6" of fish. Multply by 5 gallons per inch, and you've already filled your 29 gallon tank.

Between the fact that saltwater does not hold oxygen as well as fresh water, and the average saltwater hobby fish being larger than your average freshwater hobby fish, this drasticly cuts into the total number of fish you can have.

The good news is that there is a large variety of interesting invertabrates you can try. Many of them are scavengers, so they don't affect your bioload as much as fish do.

With careful management, you can break the gallons of water per fish rule, but this is not recomended for beginners. If your Local Pet Store accepts trade-ins, you can also consider turning in extra fish when the population starts outgrowing the tank. (Not advised for those that get emotionally attached to thier fish.)
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 3,391
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
Brenden,
You said 2 clowns for fish, would I still be able to put the fire shrimp, and the chocolate starfish, or are you suggesting 2 clowns, and 2 clowns only?
P.S. Is there another type of fish that looks similar to a butterfly or angel fish, but that is of a smaller type?
P.P.S. How long would it take for a butterfly fish that is about the size of a silver dollar to become full grown?
Thanks,
-TheChad
Chad, the lfs was probably referencing the 1 small fish per 5 gal rule to FW, not SW. FW fish are much more tolerant to less than perfect water conditions because they often come from less than perfect water conditions in FW lakes hence the biological advantage they have over SW fish.

I kept 6 large fish (7+” cichlids) in my 55 gal for years without any trouble but SW fish come from the ocean (unless tank bred) which has very exacting water parameters ie: PH around 8.2, average salinity of the ocean is 35 PPT, and SG of 1.025.

That is one of the main reasons why it’s recommended to keep less fish than FW in a SW tank because with a 28 gal tank your water parameters can go south very quickly with a large bio load (lots of fish). Also SW fish are used to huge environments and cramming a ton of fish into a small tank will lead to a ton of stress and sickness for your fish.

The bio-wheel would have been a better option then the UGF and about 35 lbs of LR would be better then either as far as filtration goes.

I’d still ditch the air wand and get a PH as Lagger said because it does very little in moving the water which you need to keep your tank properly aerated. I assume you already have one PH hooked up to your UGF and if it’s rated at 295 GPH and disturbing the surface of the water you should be ok for now. If not I’d add another PH at the other end of the tank.

Personally in such a small tank I wouldn’t get any Angels or butterfly fish. There are lots of fish that are colorful that don’t get too large and are not too aggressive. I’d look through this site http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...fm?pCatId=1926 for fish that max out around 3 to 4”, are skinny (not fat and 3”) and are listed as an “easy” fish to start out with. As said before I wouldn’t get any more than two of these types of fish until you upgrade to a larger tank. Clowns can be fun but if you do get a pair then I’d make sure they are “tank raised” as feeding them will be easier then “wild caught” You can still get the starfish and shrimp but I’d wait at least 6 months to make sure your system is stable.

If you haven’t invested in a RO\DI unit yet I’d recommend it highly as you will have much better success with your SW fish and because your tap is likely contaminated with harmful chemicals (not just chlorine) Checkout this site to see what your water parameters are. http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/yourwater/

For cheap RO\DI units check ebay for some great units around $100.00
http://stores.ebay.com/Filter-Direct-store
http://stores.ebay.com/ROfilterDepot

Angels & Butterflies reach full size in anywhere from 2 to 4 years depending on tank size & feeding habits. Don’t believe the myth that keeping a large fish in a small tank will keep him from getting large. All it will do it create stress and sickness for the fish as it grows. My Yellow Tang has already grown an inch larger in just 4 months.

Make sure you feed your SW fish a well rounded diet of frozen like SFFB Marine Cuisine
http://www.sfbb.com/frozen.asp & Ocean Nutrition Formula one & two frozen and flake.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Ocean%20Nutrition

Both brands should should be available at your lfs.

Lastly make sure you acclimate all your SW fish or other animals preferably for an hour or two using the drip method. This will ensure that your animals survive better.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/librar...y/aa111802.htm

Also I’d read all the articles at the top of this page to get yourself more familiar with SW.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask as there are tons of helpful people with years of experience that can help point you in the right direction.

And please don’t take anymore advise from your lfs without consulting another source, they sound totally clueless and are just trying to make a buck
__________________
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Genesee Valley
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
If you haven’t invested in a RO\DI unit yet I’d recommend it highly as you will have much better success with your SW fish and because your tap is likely contaminated with harmful chemicals (not just chlorine)
I've gotten in hot water on a diffrent board for saying this, but for an aquarium under 40 gallons, it is less expensive to buy your water from Wal-mart than to make it yourself. The wal-mart water machine near me tests out around 7 TDS, and is only 33 cents per gallon. RO/DI is also useful for your family drinking and cooking needs, so if you can afford it go for it, but I wouldn't get one just for a 29 gallon tank. Keep the replacement filter cost in mind when shopping for your filter. If you're planning on using it for your family needs, definately go for the more expensive model that comes with a pressure tank and faucet.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 3,391
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore
for an aquarium under 40 gallons, it is less expensive to buy your water from Wal-mart than to make it yourself.
True since he only needs to change out about 6 gal a month. I use mine for drinking water also though
__________________
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Genesee Valley
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore
for an aquarium under 40 gallons, it is less expensive to buy your water from Wal-mart than to make it yourself.
True since he only needs to change out about 6 gal a month. I use mine for drinking water also though
My folks had one at thier last house. I miss it, but I'm not ready to invest myself yet. I don't have the cash to start up a saltwater tank right now.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Warrensburg, IL
Posts: 568
Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger
Maybe I missed it in the pic, but what are you using for filtration? I also can't see a heater in there but see the thermometer. Also, ditch the bubblewall and get a powerhead.

Peace_

What exactly does a power head do? I assume it just creates more suction than the bubbles threw the UGF tubes, causing more water to be pulled down threw the rocks into the UGF?


Would you need 2, one on each tube, or just 1 one?

I assume the Power head doesn't do any filtering, just creates more water movement?

Thanks,

-TheChad
__________________

__________________
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hydrometer, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More Accurate PH test ricardo48 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 9 07-14-2009 01:48 AM
how to get an accurate CO2 level tazcrash69 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 15 10-06-2005 01:55 PM
is wpg really accurate?? GIMojo Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 08-10-2005 09:56 AM
Is A Refractometer Really More Accurate? mr_tee0419 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 07-22-2004 05:14 PM
what type of hydrometer? e-cat Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 15 10-23-2003 08:12 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.