Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2006, 03:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
While it cycles :)

I was wondering what i should get next. A skimmer or MH lighting system? any thoughts ??

Old 02-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skimmers take priority over lights. So between those choices you listed...get the skimmer first.

How about a good marine book?

If you are doing a reef, Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock is a good, very indepth book.

If you are doing fish only with or without live rock, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist also by John Tullock is another good indepth book.

Books with simple outline descriptions of fish, inverts, and corals along with capatibility and reef safe charting would include The Expert Pocket Guide Marine Fish by Scott W. Michael and the same series but on Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L.Shimek. Then there's Corals: A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung. There are many others that may be just as good. These are just a few I know of off the top of my head. Another good series of ID books are the Baensch Marine Atlases.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would have said the opposite.

I would venture to the lights before the skimmer.

If you have the LR and keep up with the PWC's you should be ok for a while. I assume you will still need to buy your fish after your cycle and QT them for 4-6 weeks in a seperate tank so very little waste will be removed by the skimmer (although you will get some) in the main.

The lights will also allow you to start on your coral trip (if you are planning a reef.)
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I think it depends.

If you haven’t bought any lights then I would also go ahead and get MH/PC lights instead of wasting money on NO lights since you obviously want corals if you are considering MH lights.

If you do have regular florescent lights then I’d get the skimmer next and wait 8+ months to get the MH.

With a new tank spending $400+ on MH if you have basic lighting is a waste since you want a mature tank (8+ months) before adding corals anyways IMO. The skimmer would help maintain the water quality and get your tank ready for corals
Old 02-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like some great advice guys
Old 02-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can i use a 5gal as a QT with a bio wheel and some LR rubble from my main tank???????
Old 02-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You asking me?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester2k3
Can i use a 5gal as a QT with a bio wheel and some LR rubble from my main tank???????
I see no reason why that wouldn't work. Course, I'd ditch the biowheel and just use the rubble for filtration.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water quality is most important when dealing with any aquatics. A skimmer tends to that quality. Lights do not. Besides, you should not have coral of any kind before having a skimmer. At least there are coral that are low light and non photosynthetic that can wait for light, but cannot for the skimmer.

The skimmer is for the overall health of the system.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

No Brenden I already asked you LOL hehehe
The reason im thinking of using the bio wheel is because ive used it with fresh water and it has all that bacteria on it. Is that bacteria the same as what will be in my SW tank????

Tags
cycle, cycles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com