White film in new sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got through moving my tank and had installed a DIY sump under the stand. It was made from glass tank with acryllic baffles siliconed into place. I had tested it a bit with fresh water before installing and the baffles were leak free. In preparation for connecting the sump to the main, I had set it up to mix some SW with my return pump cycling water to the return section using a PVC loop. However, a few days later, I am noticing a white film on just about everything in the sump and I have no idea what this could be from. I have not added sand to the refugium yet, so it should not be silt. Could it from the plumbing or something from the silicone? I was certain not to get mildew proof silicone. What should I do to clean this up before connecting to the main?
Thanks,
Chris

It sounds like it is from your sand. Both of my tanks had a "froth" on the surface. You should be able to skim it off the top.

I would clean it before connecting it to the main. You dont want all that stuff settling in your tank.

It looks like the sort of film that I would get out of the sand, but there should not be any sand in the sump yet and it has not had a connection to the main yet either.
Chris

cplawrence said:
It looks like the sort of film that I would get out of the sand, but there should not be any sand in the sump yet and it has not had a connection to the main yet either.
Chris
Oh...Hmmm, could it be dust?

After I finished installing the baffles, I ran FW through it to test for leaks. Then, it was drained and placed in the stand. No cleaning products were ever used, but I suppose dust is a possibility from the stand.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom