White residue on new sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got my first salt water tank started. I got the sand and some live rock in it now. There is some residue on the inside of the glass. Anyone ever have that stuff before? I'm not getting my skimmer until Friday and I'm not sure if that will remove the residue or if it's something else. Don't know if it helps but the tank is on the last stage of the cycle . Is it something that will go away on it's own?

Salt creep is residue made from the salt in the water. It is made when the water go/splashes in a area and it doesn't do there again. Does that make sense?

Salt creep is just dried up salt that hardens along the edges of the tank.

What you are talking about is probably just dust from your sand though, the really light stuff that doesn't settle right away. You can just wipe it off the glass with your hand (try not to use the magnet scrubbers on it just in case it scratches)

Oh and it will not go away on itself. You have to get a washcloth or something and just rubb it off. It is very fragile so it should not be hard to get off

Salt creep only developes about the water line. I think you have fine particles on your glass from sand residue. Just wipe it down and it should stop after your sand settles.

Back
Top Bottom