White stuff on rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garbear27

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have white stuff all over my live rock idk what it is does anyone have any ideas

Attachments

• image-3888339021.jpg
    image-3888339021.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 224
mr_X said:
you've asked this question over and over and over again. weren't you happy with your answers?

No cuz you said it's a spounge and I know it's not and I don't think it's algae cuz it's white

mr_X said:
you know it's not a sponge? what data did you use to determine that?

Cuz it's a rock I put in there my self andthe white stuff is pretty much on every inch of live rock I have in my tank

I'd take a good look at mr.x's stats .....I'm pretty sure there's some truth behind an answer he gives

negligent_inmate said:
I'd take a good look at mr.x's stats .....I'm pretty sure there's some truth behind an answer he gives

I'm sure he does no his stuff but I know it's not a sponge I'm 100% percent positive

I understand you don't feel that its a sponge, but excessively re-posting the same question isn't going to get you better answers. How do you know its not a sponge? I know you said that you know its not, but how do you know for certain? Perhaps you should take a small piece to your lfs and see what they tell you then go from their

Put on a rubber glove and touch it, is it hard? Soft? Spongy? Powdery? Slimy?

Is that the only pic you have?
Post a few more from different angles and of different rocks if it's on those too.

What substrate are you using? Sand? Could it be tiny particles of sand?

What type of rock is it?

Where did you get it from?

When you take this pic? After PWC? Look for me like algae after i clean my tank lol

SHARPiE said:
Put on a rubber glove and touch it, is it hard? Soft? Spongy? Powdery? Slimy?

Is that the only pic you have?
Post a few more from different angles and of different rocks if it's on those too.

What substrate are you using? Sand? Could it be tiny particles of sand?

What type of rock is it?

Where did you get it from?

Well I think it's just a slimy substance that is catching sand substrate cuz I try to blow it off with my power head and it just stays there and I have a fine sand substrate

I got that problem when I put uncured liverock to my tank. it took very very long time to lower the Nitrate level. Hope that helps.

Gti_Leo said:
lmao mr.x told you its a sponge, its like an algae type thing that grows n marine tanks, its used to suck out water polution to clear up the water. not that you put an actual sponge in instead of rocks.

ths is a red sponge, they come in all different colors

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Red Ball Sponge

But it is all over all my live rock not just this one that's just the most detailed pic I could get

Taimoortwm said:
I got that problem when I put uncured liverock to my tank. it took very very long time to lower the Nitrate level. Hope that helps.

When i got the tank it's been setup for a year already and almost all of the rock has Coraline algae on it

Checking the nitrate level would be next choice in my opinion.
It could be the moving into your home cause a new cycling.
If the nitrate is high, you might have to take the rock out and "wash them" by gently using a painting brush to get rid of the nasty algae. then keep doing it untill they all cycled. I am not an expert, just want to help. :)

Hey guys - here is a picture of my white stuff; if you tell me its a sponge I'll be ok with that - at least I'll know what it is; what I would rather know is if it is ok ? should I leave it or should I panic ;-/ - it is day 5 of the cycling - the Ph is high and the alkalinity is off the chart 300+. its bang on 78 degrees and the salinity is 1.023 - the nitrates and nitrites are present but at fairly low levels. Any advice is welcome cause I am 5 days new to salt water aquariums and I feel a little like a new parent that is afraid of doing something wrong that will kill the kid ;-(

Thanks

Matt

p1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom