Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
Well my next question I gues is what thickness shoudl I use for the sump. Id almost like to be able to drill in the back side for feed from the top tank to the bottom. I need to keep enough room with all this to keep a nice sized pump for a closed system setup as well.

http://home.insightbb.com/~civicman86/FishSig.jpg
Pics and specs coming soon...
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the glass thickness wont matterif you buy a tank, Im not seeing the point in building a glass tank to specs of a premade one???

Drilling glass isnt a good idea unless you know that your doing either IMO. Epsecially if its tempered.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is my idea with the main tank. Let me know what you all think or any ideas to imrpove. This is all in the baby stages and will be refined, hopefully with the help of the more experinced.

EDIT: Well if i made the tank i would make it a bit shorter. I will most likely just buy the tank as it will be easier and not much outside my set clearances.

If I had the glass drilled it would be by a glass shop who drilled my current 29gallon.
Attached Images
File Type: gif tank-drilling_101.gif (147.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 05-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where are you going to get that drilled at? If it was acrylic or predrilled id be all for it...I just dont want you to ruin your tank. Ive never seen an overflow setup like that though, the tube overflows I have seen allways come up from the bottom.

I also think that with 4 overflows you will need an insane return pump.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc118
Where are you going to get that drilled at? If it was acrylic or predrilled id be all for it...I just dont want you to ruin your tank. Ive never seen an overflow setup like that though, the tube overflows I have seen allways come up from the bottom.

I also think that with 4 overflows you will need an insane return pump.
There would only be two overflows and two returns. I shoudl have not used the green and yellow as it is hard to tell them apart. The two holes in the top corners would be the only overflow. The pump would not have to be to crazy as I would want the flow in the sump to be slow.

The other hole will be used for a closed loop system using a OM squirt 4-way. Where I would be trying to get the majority of the water movement.

The yellows holes would be the closed loop system. One for the intake for the pump and the other 4 would be the output from the OM squirt and create a random current.

There is a local glass place that my fish store uses for all their drilling. I would give it to them to drill.

I really really hate stuff being in the tank or over the tank, so I am trying my best to get

Tags
custom, custom tank, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com