Who can make a custom tank? Need wierd deminsions for sump.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any custom tank will cost you $$$. Are you wanting acrylic? There are some great DIY guides around here.

I believe sumps go more on volume, with the dimension of the main tank not having an effect.

Well the sump has to go in my stand. It has to be able to be dropped in from the top <=18'' wide. It can be up to 48'' long. It can be no taller than 20''.

I will get some pics of the stand tonight and post exactly what I am trying to accomplish with this.

Glass or acrylic does not matter to me. Whichever will be cheaper since it will only be used as a sump (place for skimmer, small aread for some ls and cheato, bubble trap, etc).

What size is the main tank? You could easily get a premade glass tank for that.

Main is 75gallon.

All the main tanks that are in the area of 48'' are to tall to fit in the area that im trying to get them to fit in.

Another Idea i had was have half the tank stand have a 24'' long tank and maybe 24 tall. Then have that tank connect to a another smaller shorter tank on the other side of the stand for slow moving water through a fuge type setup. give me about to mins and Ill go take a pic of the stand and make a quick sketch.

Yea you could do a DIY 30g sump with a premade tank no problem.

Well it looks like I might be able to do a 40 long underneath there. I dont know why I was thinking that none would fit :-\

On the other hand how much would it cost for a tank just shorter than a 40long but the same width and height? Cost of glass that is. I dont mind doing a DIY project for it. How thick should glass be?

A 30 normal is 36x12x16. 10 in shorter and 1 in shorter width.

I have a 40g sump in my stand no problem though.

Here are two designs I have looked at.

Im just afraid having the 40 would be two big for me to do maintance in. The 40 long would work . It would be a close fit between the top of the tank and the shelf, but I mesaured the 12'' high conservatively. If worse some to worse I could move the shelf up and inch or so.

Attachments

• tank_612.gif
    tank_612.gif
    135.7 KB · Views: 19
I wouldnt do 2 tanks IMO, have everything in one, just use the tank for the DIY sump/fuge.

Well my next question I gues is what thickness shoudl I use for the sump. Id almost like to be able to drill in the back side for feed from the top tank to the bottom. I need to keep enough room with all this to keep a nice sized pump for a closed system setup as well.

Well the glass thickness wont matterif you buy a tank, Im not seeing the point in building a glass tank to specs of a premade one???

Drilling glass isnt a good idea unless you know that your doing either IMO. Epsecially if its tempered.

Here is my idea with the main tank. Let me know what you all think or any ideas to imrpove. This is all in the baby stages and will be refined, hopefully with the help of the more experinced.

EDIT: Well if i made the tank i would make it a bit shorter. I will most likely just buy the tank as it will be easier and not much outside my set clearances.

If I had the glass drilled it would be by a glass shop who drilled my current 29gallon.

Attachments

• tank-drilling_101.gif
    tank-drilling_101.gif
    147.8 KB · Views: 14
Where are you going to get that drilled at? If it was acrylic or predrilled id be all for it...I just dont want you to ruin your tank. Ive never seen an overflow setup like that though, the tube overflows I have seen allways come up from the bottom.

I also think that with 4 overflows you will need an insane return pump.

Marc118 said:
Where are you going to get that drilled at? If it was acrylic or predrilled id be all for it...I just dont want you to ruin your tank. Ive never seen an overflow setup like that though, the tube overflows I have seen allways come up from the bottom.

I also think that with 4 overflows you will need an insane return pump.

There would only be two overflows and two returns. I shoudl have not used the green and yellow as it is hard to tell them apart. The two holes in the top corners would be the only overflow. The pump would not have to be to crazy as I would want the flow in the sump to be slow.

The other hole will be used for a closed loop system using a OM squirt 4-way. Where I would be trying to get the majority of the water movement.

The yellows holes would be the closed loop system. One for the intake for the pump and the other 4 would be the output from the OM squirt and create a random current.

There is a local glass place that my fish store uses for all their drilling. I would give it to them to drill.

I really really hate stuff being in the tank or over the tank, so I am trying my best to get

Back
Top Bottom