Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Who started with FO and who started with a reef?
FO first 2 22.22%
Freshwater then FO 0 0%
Freshwater then Reef 5 55.56%
Reef first 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Who had a FO tank first, and who started with a reef?

Now, before anyone starts out with the: reefs are not recommended for beginners thing, I know. I plan to start with FOWLR, but i was just curious as to who started out with a reef, and what there experiences were.

How did you decide which to start with?

For those who started with a reef, do you regret doing so?

For those who started with a reef, what mistakes did you make because of that decision?

For those who started with FO, do you feel that you could have started with a reef?

fishygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I started 10 yrs ago with my reef tank. It was hard at first but eventually we made it. The most important thing I did was I went slowly. That is the best advice I can give. I would add only one at a time and wait for the bioload to biuld up. Started with a 55 and went to a 125. That`s where I am today. You can view my tank in my sig. where it says "view my tank". It`s been a 10 yr project.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's the impression I'm starting to get. That its possible to start out with a reef as long as you start slow and do a lot of planning. I'm still treating a reef aquarium as a possibility, but i need to find out a bit more about it. I do have experience with freshwater, and that appears to help a bit.
fishygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Reef is only as difficult as you make it :P You can start out simply, relatively easily, and very inexpensively with various polyps/zoos, mushrooms. Just take it slow!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I started with freshwater then went to reef. You can definitley start with a reef tank with no freshwater experience, it's all in the setup and how well you prepare for things.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkiheartsfish
Reef is only as difficult as you make it :P You can start out simply, relatively easily, and very inexpensively with various polyps/zoos, mushrooms. Just take it slow!
Bingo!

I have no freshwater experience. My tank was FOWLR for about 3 months! Then some zoanthids. Then a maze brain (platygyra). Then another fish. Then a fungia. Then 3 chromis. You get the idea...

Take it slow, and know exactly what your water parameters are along the way, and it's absolutely no problem - as long as you stick with fairly easy, low maintenance corals. Don't make your first purchase a bunch of acroporas or goniporas or something that is really fussy.

With my experience, I really don't see any difference in tank maintenance or attitude between FOWLR and Reef. Either way, you want to keep the water as good as you can get it.

Tags
reef, started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com