Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are using RO/DI water, why would your phosphates read anything but 0? If I were you, I would run a test on some of the water from that store before putting it in the tank. Se what levels it is at coming from them. What you should read is Sal 1.025-1.026, Am 0 Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0, Cal 420-460. If you see phosates in the water they are selling you, it is not RO/DI or they haven't changed cartiges in a long time. Either way, it tells me I can't trust them because they are just wanting to make a sale and don't care about what they are selling.

As for cycle, it doesn't appear that it has started yet. If you have AM with no nitrite or nitrate then you have no BB. Once again, if they said "Looking Good" they are feeding you a line trying to get you to buy fish now instead of later. The + to them is you will buy them now and buy them again when the first ones die. I hate to be so blunt but I would start looking for another LFS. There are some very good ones out there but you just have to search for them.

How I found the good ones was by asking tons of questions both here and at the LFS. Then I would compare the answers I was getting. Pretty quick it became clear.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's the only store in my city that sells ro water so I guess I'll start looking for one in nearby cities. What should my next step be? Just let it be and wait for cycle to start since the shrimp is still in there?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
The ammonia looks like between .25 and .50 from here. Definitely not zero. There should be no green hue at all.
Oh okay, thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
The ammonia looks like between .25 and .50 from here. Definitely not zero. There should be no green hue at all.
Well, he is still cycling, so thats ok
What does ur pH actually say?! 7.8 is low, but not catastrophic

In the long run you will need to buy a RODI unit if you can't trust ur LFS
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am in no way saying don’t buy from them. Just don’t take their word on things as gospel. Double check everything for yourself first. Take time to learn about fish before you buy them. Make sure that it isn’t going to decimate your corals or kill the other fish in your tank before you buy it.

You have a good opportunity here. Since your tank is not cycled you can be patient and take that time to learn a lot before you ever start to add any livestock. Read up and understand the cycle process. Read tons of threads on this site and don’t be afraid to challenge what someone says in a thread. There are lots of knowledgeable people and lots of “Know It All’s”. There is a big difference. LOL I don’t trust anyones advice if they can’t tell me why. Good example is with topping off your tank. Some say, you MUST top off with freshwater and you MUST use saltwater for water changes. While that entire statement is not wrong, the MUST part is. The key is to understand that you want to maintain a constant salinity. Therefore, if the water you loose is due to evaporation, the salt stays behind and freshwater is the best thing for top off. However, if you have a glass top like me, the water you loose is from taking samples or drip acclimation. In that case, you are taking the salt out with the water. The better way to explain how to top off in my opinion would be to say, test your water, if the salinity is high, use fresh water to try to lower it to the desired level. If the salinity is right where you want it, use saltwater that has the same salinity when you top off, that way the overall salinity stays the same.

The main thing is you have some time while your tank cycles. Use it wisely and learn all you can. Ask lots of questions. You will be glad you did. Also, make your first purchase a RO/DI unit and mix your own saltwater. Purewaterclub.com makes a good inexpensive one. You can get the 100 gallon a day for around $60.00 from EBay or from their website. I bought this one PureWaterClub.com which is the same as the one I mentioned but does 150 gallons a day.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Good advice to read up on the cycle process. Very important right now.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all the help and advice. Saved me a lott of money and time. I'll be doing a lot of research and reading over the next few days that's for sure. Will keep y'all updated on how things go.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all the help and advice. Saved me a lott of money and time. I'll be doing a lot of research and reading over the next few days that's for sure. Will keep y'all updated on how things go.
Ok, glad we were able to help keep us posted
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good Luck Yash. You got a leg up on most people. A lot of them find out the hard way long after they have put a lot of money and heart into. You get to start with a clean slate and do it right the first time.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com