Who's getting fish tomorrow? Oh yah, me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

excited_newby

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well after much pain and waiting and then more waiting the time has finally come. The tank is pretty much cycled (no ammo or 'trites and a low and dropping 'trates), the shrimp thing worked well and I dumped in some of that bacteria "snake oil" :lol: that seemed to make it go faster but maybe that was my imagination. I think that I will probably go through another mini cycle as I have not added the canister filter yet, and so there was not a massive amount of stuff for the bacteria to take hold on.

Well I went by the LFS for the umteenth time to check out their clowns to look at health over the long term, and from what I have learned they look very good with no disease. I am going with a true percula pair to start, and am wondering what the best pair choice to make. There are probably 15 or twenty clown in one of the tanks along with other varieties of fish (but it isnt crapped they are quite large tanks). I am wondering if it is best to get a large one and a smaller one so there is less problems with dominance, or to get two large or two small and let them work it out.

Oh I am so excited. I must have spent an hour and a half in the lab at lunck and after school getting everything adjusted, taking readings, added a new heater to the other end of the tank so the temp stays more even. I think the tanks looks great. I have bio after lunch so I will not be hurried with the acclimatization, and I am sure that I will have about and hour to slowly adjust them to tank conditions. Here is how I am going to add them, tell me if I am out to lunch:
1) 15 minutes submerge the closed bag in the water to adjust for temp.
2) scoop out a little water from the bag and replace with tank water. Dipose of the removed bag water.
3) Continue step 3 repeatedly every five minute for roughly 45 minutes
4) Pour bag water out into bucket through net to catch fish.
5) Put net in water and release fish.
6) Smile and enjoy!
Does that sound good?

I have another question about fish to add after the clowns have settled and the tank has matured a little. Say next October (so the tank has had time to become settled) what would some nice flashy fish be to add to it. I recognize that I don't want to overstock and the like but I don't really want another type of damsel, chromis, or gobie in it. If I get some nice algae growing on my rock would I be able to keep a smaller yellow tang? My tank is a longer tank not one of the taller ones so there is some horiz. distance to swim. I like them but if it is destined to die for sure than I couldn't do that. Also there were some butterflies that were no bigger than a silver dollar, are there any that stay small enough to live in a 30 gal. or is it a losing cause. There were also tiny little (maybe 2") picasso triggers. Is that a possibility?

I won't tire you eyes anymore ;)

TIA

excited_newby said:
I am wondering if it is best to get a large one and a smaller one so there is less problems with dominance, or to get two large or two small and let them work it out.
Best possible choice would be the two smallest available that are the healthiest. It will help ensure they grow together and will improve the odds of a mated pair. Next best option is get one much larger than the other.

1) 15 minutes submerge the closed bag in the water to adjust for temp.
2) scoop out a little water from the bag and replace with tank water. Dipose of the removed bag water.
3) Continue step 3 repeatedly every five minute for roughly 45 minutes
4) Pour bag water out into bucket through net to catch fish.
5) Put net in water and release fish.
6) Smile and enjoy!
Does that sound good?
Sounds fine provided they are going into a quarantine tank. :wink: Just because they are the first fish does not mean this very important step should be skipped. You cannot treat them any more or less effectively than any future additions.

If I get some nice algae growing on my rock would I be able to keep a smaller yellow tang? My tank is a longer tank not one of the taller ones so there is some horiz. distance to swim. I like them but if it is destined to die for sure than I couldn't do that. Also there were some butterflies that were no bigger than a silver dollar, are there any that stay small enough to live in a 30 gal. or is it a losing cause. There were also tiny little (maybe 2") picasso triggers. Is that a possibility?
I would be careful with any large growing fish. The ones you mention would not be good choices unless you plan on upgrading the tank size within the next year. It's not the purchase size you need be concerned about so much as the maximum adult size the fish can grow to. For a 29 gal with clowns, there are a few suggestions but it would help to know more about the type of tank this will be (FO, FOWLR, reef?) and if there will be any mobile inverts as well.

Cheers
Steve

Allright I will try to get a couple of the smallest ones they have that look good and healthy. I'm not sure but it seems to me that there were some that looked good and had nice coloration to them. If not I will get one of the biggest ones and one of the smaller ones.

Nope there will be no quarantining of them. Our school can barely afford a main tank, and chances are there will be no more fish additions, a few inverts but that will be it likely. I wish we could go quarantine but it just isn't going to happen.

Ok. That is what I thought, and the chances of an upgrade in the tank ar minimal so I think that I may just keep it as a clown tank, with a snail or two.

Thanks for the advice!

excited_newby said:
Nope there will be no quarantining of them. Our school can barely afford a main tank, and chances are there will be no more fish additions, a few inverts but that will be it likely. I wish we could go quarantine but it just isn't going to happen.
Not meaning to belabour the point but if cost is such a consideration, if the fish die due to illness/parasite they will most likely be replaced. The cost of replacing the fish will not be far off from the cost of a simple QT. I do not mean to reduce the life of the fish to dollars, just hoping to make a straight across comparison.

Something to think about anyway :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Oh please qt. Believe me its not worth skipping. I learned the hard way.
I'll send you my spare 10 gallon if you want. :wink:
Other than that.....enjoy!!!

Why do you gt, and how, and when? Sorry off topic, i am a newbie. I have had my tank for 1 1/2 weeks and have 5 fish, and 16 hermit crabs....no qt. Am I ok?

Well like so many things so far if this was my tank I would do it differently than at school. I am going to put the fish in, if they live for 2 months till summer that is just dandy (of course they will). I will probably end up taking the tank down for the summer and then starting anew in the fall. Then we will have the time and money to do this thing well, but we need something living in there for now!

Thanks for the comments, but we need something alive in the tank for the next 2 months or else i will be hung and quartered;)

Back
Top Bottom