Why am i not getting Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camothor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

So im brand new to fish keeping and im doing my cycle i tested tonight and i got

Ph 7.8
Ammonia somewhere between 1 and 2 closer to 1 ( im using the drop testing kit by APi
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 0.0

my tank is only 5 days old but i have put one and a half bottles of stability in so far, 9 i know im impatient but i thought that if there is nitrite ( the readings have been the same for the last 2 days) that there should be nitrate forming...

I also put two dead shrimps into the tank two days ago... if you have any other tips or thoughts on why there is no nitrate would be muchly appreciated..

Thanks in advance,
Cam

The more your tank cycles the more nitrates you`ll have. Just wait for your tank to completely cycle and then do a 40% PWC and then do routine PWC`s after that and you should be OK.

I've never used stability so I can't speak for that.

As for cycling your tank the process is the same no matter what method you use. Ammonia ---> NitrIte -----> NitrAte As Mike said give it some more time and let the cycle run it's course. Soon enough you will be working to rid yourself of the nitrAtes in your system.

Back
Top Bottom