Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why am I still battling high nitrates?

My 120 has been up and running for over 8 months, and my nitrates are still around 40. I've got the DSB, 4 Hagen 70s at 400 gph each and no more bio balls. Plus cheato in the sump.

I do a 15 gallon PWC every 2 weeks.

Why the continued high nitrates?

Thx

Spin

120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
spinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would look at what are you feeding and how much.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's possible you are struggling with the same problem I have had in the past. My local water has nitrates in it, so when I've been doing water changes, I haven't been getting rid of the nitrates!

Are you using RO/DI water or treated tap water? If you are using tap water, test it right out of the tap, and see if the nitrates register. If they do, you may be taking the nitrates out and then putting them right back in.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

what kind of water do you use? have you checked you new water for nitrates?
still only the 7 fish? Seeing you only used 50lbs of lr and 150 of base it could be taking time for the LR to build up ?? just a thought... 40 is not over the top yet so just keep up on the water changes. Try another type of macroalgae in the fuge ans see if that helps..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use a Kent CTA 10 RO unit. I did test the RO'ed water and it had zero nitrates. I would feed the fish a pinch of flake and 1/8 tsp, of kent reef carnivore or herbivore pellets every day. This for 2 Clowns and a YT. Also have a cleanup crew for what little food is left.

Spin
120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd stay away from the flake food.. I switched over to all frozen and that helped me out.

Have questions about satellite tv? Visit us at http://www.dbstalk.com
neilster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I very often feed only every other day. During vacation, my fish can go for 6 or 7 days with no food, so every two days might work for you also.

How big is your cleanup crew anyway. # of hermits? Shrimp? Brittle star? Got any nassarius snails for the sand bed Things like those might help too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This may not solve the problem, but it will sure help.
1. Lose the flakes and stick with frozen.
2. PWC of 15 gal every two weeks is not sufficient for a 120, especially if you want to keep NO3's down. Try 15-20 gallons weekly, every week.
3. Cut feeding to every other day. Even every third day, on occasion.

I have a much higher load in my 55 and my NO3's stay <10, although never close to 0. Also, your LR isn't at full capacity yet. That will help too, as the months progress. Good luck!
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have any pre filter sponges? They can be a source of nitrates as well if neglected.
I have also read that red mangroves can help with nitrates.
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I've got 2 pre filter sponges in the overflow box. I have 2 sets that I rotaete a couple times a week. Maybe I should change them more often? I also have a sponge block in the sump that I rotatae every 2 weeks. Maybe I should just get rid of it.

Spin

Tags
high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com