Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why did my LFS recommend these

Ive had my tank going for 14 days. Cycle is done. Water was tested at the lfs and he told me I was ready for a cleaning crew. Great I thought. I tokd him it was a 9 gallon tank with 14 lbs of lr and 10 lbs of ls.. he hooks me up with 3 turbo snails that poop more than they eat. A skunk shrimp that has nothing to do and a sand sifter starfish that I find out in the forums needs a whole lot more sand than I've got. All I wanted in this tank was zoas and a few small fish. He knew this and I figured he was the leading authority..Wrong

Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms705jk View Post
Ive had my tank going for 14 days. Cycle is done. Water was tested at the lfs and he told me I was ready for a cleaning crew. Great I thought. I tokd him it was a 9 gallon tank with 14 lbs of lr and 10 lbs of ls.. he hooks me up with 3 turbo snails that poop more than they eat. A skunk shrimp that has nothing to do and a sand sifter starfish that I find out in the forums needs a whole lot more sand than I've got. All I wanted in this tank was zoas and a few small fish. He knew this and I figured he was the leading authority..Wrong
Well id get rid of at least 2 turbos and the sand sifter if you can. Maybe get your money back. Most lfs don't know squat ( and I work at one) haha. The skunk cleaners are cool though but yeah he got you, I'm sorry

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

you really have to keep in mind that LFS are there to do business. although us hobbyists don't agree with the practice one bit, its sadly true that they will bend the truth (or sometimes completely fabricate it) just to sell livestock/supplies. ive been telling other hobbyists this for over a year now, your best bet is to research your question(s) here at AA and other reputable forums, get your answer, then go to the LFS. also if you feel like testing some employees knowledge of the hobby, feel free to ask them questions that you already know the answer to.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want to know how your tank cycled in two weeks
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
you really have to keep in mind that LFS are there to do business. although us hobbyists don't agree with the practice one bit, its sadly true that they will bend the truth (or sometimes completely fabricate it) just to sell livestock/supplies. ive been telling other hobbyists this for over a year now, your best bet is to research your question(s) here at AA and other reputable forums, get your answer, then go to the LFS. also if you feel like testing some employees knowledge of the hobby, feel free to ask them questions that you already know the answer to.
I agree 100% with this statement, I particularly like the facial expression and resulting attempt at backtracking the knowledgable assistant tries after being rumbled! To say I've had more than a few "disagreements" would be an understatement. I got one guy so angry he completely lost his cool and ended up shouting at me
He was the manager! Professionalism at it's very best, needless to say they don't take anymore of my fish tokens. I did go back once with a bucket full of his favourite fish that I'd home bred, his face was a pretty picture that day!

Find a shop that's honest, even if like me, you need to drive past three. I sometimes think if they can kill your fish, you will buy their stock after placing trust in whatever they say. Once they know you are fish wise the store will usually treat you as an equal or will completely ignore your presence.

Look for the shop where you are an equal. Give them your hard earned because they deserve it.
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree about the downside of LFS not knowing as much as they should. I think that most of them are questionable at best. I try to do my own research before making a purchase and will sometimes go in playing dumb just to see what they say. When in doubt, ask here first. There are lots of people with lots of experience and knowledge and nobody here makes a dollar off of you.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

As mentioned above try doing your research before you go. They are there to make a sale and that's what they are going to do. Go there and see what they have and then go home and do your research. Then go back informed knowing what you want.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
I want to know how your tank cycled in two weeks
I used everything from an established tank. Rock ,sand, 3 gal water and 3 gal precycled ready water
Old 11-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Agree with above posters. LFS's are in the business of making money. There are probably many very great LFS stores who do have knowlegeable staff and are great to work with, but at the end of the day, they need to sell livestock to keep in business, no matter how honest and good they might be.
I have to travel about 30 minutes from home, past another LFS to get to the one I use. They are a good place with knowledgeable staff, and although thier goal is to sell, they do try to keep thier customers on the right path as much as possible. I actually had one of the guys keep me in check last week when I saw the "most gorgeous blue spotted jawfish ever, that I must have". He quickly reminded me that while it is a cool fish, me and my tank are not really ready for such a fish. Thats a $120 sale I am glad I didnt walk out with, lol.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd also bear in mind that in a 9 gallon your options for fish are very limited too before you start looking for them btw

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com