why fish die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I got one blue damselfish just died!. This fish was recently added into my tank after quarantieed. I had observed it always stay at one corner when it sleep. It is that the fish due to lack of hidding place? Most of the hidding place were occupied by resident fishes.

This fish join the crowd when feeding and it do eat well with variety of food that I fed them.

Confuse :roll: ,.. pls advise. Thanks!

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

A bit more info from you will help in figuring this out.

How long was the damsel quarantined and was there any treatment used?

When you placed the fish into the main display, was it acclimated properly and did you notice any signs of distress or harassment from other fish?

Could you give some additional info on the main display tank? Age of set up, livestock, NH4, NO2, NO3 as well as other relavent info.

Do you still have the tang, damsel and clowns? In a 30 gal tank this could be a major part of the problem.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply!

My damsel was quarantieed for 24hrs without any medication treatment at all.

Residental fish are curious, particulary two african clowns that had checked out on their new mate. There is no violent harassement going on, except was chasing it away by one of the clownfish during feeding time.

Despite that, the damsel fish still managed to get some food.

Age of the tank setup for merely two weeks old. 6 livestock (e.g. 1 percula clown, 2 african clown. 1 blue tang, 1 yellow wrasse and 1 filefish)

I seldom check on NO4,NO2, NO3. Often checkup was PH value using PH meter. Value mostly range bet. 8.0 to 8.2

Thanks & Best Regards,
Hippo :lol:

hippo said:
Age of the tank setup for merely two weeks old. 6 livestock (e.g. 1 percula clown, 2 african clown. 1 blue tang, 1 yellow wrasse and 1 filefish)

At this stage of your tanks developement, you have far too many fish in the tank. If anything one would be more than sufficient. In fact cycling without fish is highly recommended. In hopes of saving from further losses, I would strongly urge you return the fish you have now. 2 weeks into the set up will not allow for a proper biological bacterial base to form and the results will be disasterous if continued.

>>Here<< is a very loose timetable for cycling.

In a newly set up tank, it will not be ready for any real fish load for 4-6 weeks if not longer. You should also be aware that the tang will most probably not survive in such a small and new tank for long. I would also be very cautious of mixing clowns. They are a "damselfish" and as such very territorial and not tolerant of conspecies. Do you know the species of "african clown"? That term will include about 5 different types.

I seldom check on NO4,NO2, NO3. Often checkup was PH value using PH meter. Value mostly range bet. 8.0 to 8.2

In a newly set up tank, the above numbers are very important and should be monitored as a guide to the health of the tank. I think most probably this is the cause of your damsels demise. I would also suggest that you QT all new fish for at least 3-4 weeks before introducing them into your main display. 24 hrs will not allow enough time for the possible problems to surface and be appropriately treated if necessary. You can read about QT set ups >>here<<.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom