Why is an RO unit needed and what does it do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It purifies your tap water so that you can use it in your aquarium. Regular tap water has nitrates, phosphates and all sorts of other stuff you don't wanna put into your fish tank.

RO removes most inorganic chemicals (salts, metals, minerals) most microorganisms including cryptosporidium and giardia, and most (but not all) inorganic contaminants.
An RO unit can remove up to 98% of the total dissolved solids (tds) in tap or well water. If your tap water is in the 185 - 215 tds range like mine is the RO filter will get it down to under 10. The DI (De-Ionization) filter removes the rest leaving you with 0 tds. You then use this clean water for tank top off due to evaporation and for your salt mix for a pwc.

My RO takes 540ppm water and knocks it down to 30, then the DI takes care of the rest of it. That's in the summer @ 150 GPD, winter cuts the production in about 1/2 and the RO knocks it down to about 12 (pre-filter seems to work better in winter)

There are many inexpensive units sold on eBay. I prefer the clear cannisters. I've had my Typhoon III from AirWaterIce (one of our sponsors) for 5 years. I replaced the membrane last year with the 150 gpd membrane.

cmor, did you notice a lot more waste water since then? i have heard anything above 75gpd will waste a lot more water.

Doug,

I had the 100gpd membrane before which I beleive is rated at 90% rejection. The 150gpd is rated at 98% rejection. I'm actually seeing less waste output now with the 150gpd membrane.

I'm also using a booster pump to get my 45psi tap up to 70psi, so I'm hitting the sweet spot for the membrane. However, I had the booster pump on my 100gpd before the change so that's not the reason.

ah, then you wouldn't see much of a difference anyway. i was told by a few retail vendors that info about the 75gpd+.

Back
Top Bottom