Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Why is my alkalinity so high?

Hello all. I have been testing my brand new tank daily for the most common parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, hardness, and alkalinity.

My question is, what is alkalinity? Mine is testing off the charts! Is this bad for fish/corals/anemones? Thanks in advance.

JW

Old 01-16-2005, 12:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alk is basically the buffering capacity of water. Super important for keeping your tank stable. It would be very unusual if your alk was that high unless you went crazy with additives. Check your test kit and instructions. If it still tests off the charts post your results and brand of test kit.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I accidently put way too much kalk in a cup of water that I added to my tank to make up for evap. Is that what kalk does?

I also have this other stuff: Superbuffer dkh. Does that do the same thing that kalk does? I'm running a nano tank with no room to add a drip mechanism. What would be a better choice? kalk or superbuffer?

JW
40 lbs. LS
1 Pink Tree Coral
1 Copperband Butterfly
1 Yellow Tang
1 Mandarin Goby
3 Peppermint Shrimp
20 Red-Legged Hermit Crabs
30 assorted Snails

6G Nano-Reef Tank (Eclipse Six)
--------------------------------------------
10 lbs. LR
15 lbs. LS
1 Sebae Anemone
Several Purple Mushrooms
1 Bright Green Brain Coral
1 Sebae Clownfish
1 Yellow-tailed Damsel
1 Domino Damsel
6 Red-Legged Hermit Crabs
8 assorted Snails
sdaccord03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is a good level for alkalinity in a reef tank? I'm guessing mine is about 400.

JW
40 lbs. LS
1 Pink Tree Coral
1 Copperband Butterfly
1 Yellow Tang
1 Mandarin Goby
3 Peppermint Shrimp
30 assorted Snails

10 lbs. LR
15 lbs. LS
1 Sebae Anemone
Several Purple Mushrooms
1 Sebae Clownfish
1 Yellow-tailed Damsel
1 Domino Damsel
8 assorted Snails
Old 01-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaccord03
Well I accidently put way too much kalk in a cup of water that I added to my tank to make up for evap. Is that what kalk does?
Kalk is a balanced additive which raised both alk and Ca together. You should not add the kalk in a slurry unless you know exactly what you are doing. In a new set up, you shouldn't need any type of additive at this point. You should save these things for later. Right now the tank needs to cycle. Once the tank matures after a few months you can think about some coral additions. It will be about 4-6 months before your ready for scleractinians (hard corals) and then the kalk additions might be needed. Until then , rely moreso on your water changes to maintain water chemistry depending on the brand of salt.

Quote:
I also have this other stuff: Superbuffer dkh. Does that do the same thing that kalk does? I'm running a nano tank with no room to add a drip mechanism. What would be a better choice? kalk or superbuffer?
Depends on the size of the nano and what's in it. The smaller the tank, the safer water changes become your easiest method of maintaining water chemistry. The worst thing you can do is dose additives that impact the chemistry in large swings. Buffers only raise the alkalinity and pH of the chemistry not the Ca. If you are looking for an easier maintenance scheme, I would suggest a two part liq additive like ESV. You can add in controlled smaller doses that will have much less impact. Like I said though, water changes would be less harmful in the long run.

Quote:
What is a good level for alkalinity in a reef tank? I'm guessing mine is about 400.
NSW 1.5 - 3 mEq/l. Many will keep it at the higher end of that but there is no benefit in going higher. 400 ppm (8 mEq/l) is very very high. I would suggest several water changes until you get that down closer to 125-175 ppm.

Also be sure the alk is balanced with the Ca.... <<Balanced calculator>>

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I noticed that you didn't list Ca among your tested parametres. Steve-S has given some good advice.

Once you're ready to start watching/controlling your Alk...you'll need to watch/control Ca also. This is because the two are interrelated. Knowing the level of one, without knowing the level of the other can lead you astray in a hurry.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea I saw that calcium calculator. THat's interesting. Anyways thanks for all the information. I will just stick to water changes and not worry so much about other additives. Like you said, not right now anyways. I do weekly 15% water changes and things seem to be running smoothly so far.

JW
--------------------------------------------------
Eclipse Six Gallon
20 watt PC bulbs
6 lbs LR
2" sand bed
Sebae Anemone
2 Domino Damsels / Sebae Clown
Cleaner Shrimp
8 Red-legged Hermit Crabs

40 lbs. LS
1 Pink Tree Coral
1 Copperband Butterfly
1 Yellow Tang
1 Mandarin Goby
3 Peppermint Shrimp
30 assorted Snails

10 lbs. LR
15 lbs. LS
1 Sebae Anemone
Several Purple Mushrooms
1 Sebae Clownfish
1 Yellow-tailed Damsel
1 Domino Damsel
8 assorted Snails

Tags
alkalinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com