Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why is my calcium low

These are my last test results , I know my calcium should be higher but why is it so low or is it ?
Aquarium my tank parameters are:

Temperature: 79.7
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia, NH4: 0
Nitrate, NO3: 0
Nitrite, NO2: 0
pH: 8.2
Alkalinity, KH: 8.1
Calcium, Ca: 330
Magnesium, Mg: 1,360

for date: July 5, 2012

Old 07-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco V
These are my last test results , I know my calcium should be higher but why is it so low or is it ?
Aquarium my tank parameters are:

Temperature: 79.7
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia, NH4: 0
Nitrate, NO3: 0
Nitrite, NO2: 0
pH: 8.2
Alkalinity, KH: 8.1
Calcium, Ca: 330
Magnesium, Mg: 1,360

for date: July 5, 2012
What salt do you use? And what size tank? Corals, types etc? Also double check it with another test kit or your LFS.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

60 gallon DT 30 gallon sump/refugium . Frogspawn, riccordia , zoo's, sebae anemone, daisy polyps and a BTA. I'm buying water from LFS.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just had a friend tell me that it's my bio rock that is using all my calcium , could this be true ?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I just had a friend tell me that it's my bio rock that is using all my calcium , could this be true ?
No.

What is your salinity? And what was the last calcium reading before this test and how long ago.

Also have you ever tested the LFS water for calcium. I would like to know that level to.

You have nothing in your tank that would be using up a lot of calcium, so im betting your LFS could be the problem.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Salinity is @ 1.025 last time I tested for calcium was 1 month ago and it was @ 360 . I stopped testing for calcium while I was fighting the Cyanobacteria outbreak I had now that I have that under control I went back to my regular schedule for testing . I have not tested the water before the water change.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Salinity is @ 1.025 last time I tested for calcium was 1 month ago and it was @ 360 . I stopped testing for calcium while I was fighting the Cyanobacteria outbreak I had now that I have that under control I went back to my regular schedule for testing . I have not tested the water before the water change.
Last water change?

If you have gone a longer than usual time between PWC's then it very well could be from Coralline algae if you've gotten a big bloom recently.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Calcium is consumed by both corals and coralline algae. There are great products to helping erase calcium. The first is purple up, it works great with no mixing. Add at regular intervals untill the levels are where you want them, then dose back. The next is elemental, this is great for corals and coralline algae alike. A small dose daily(a pinch) works best. My corals have increased in size greatly since I started using it. I do not recommend using them together. I now use elemental, works great and is the most cost effective way to dose that I have found.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittyzen
Calcium is consumed by both corals and coralline algae. There are great products to helping erase calcium. The first is purple up, it works great with no mixing. Add at regular intervals untill the levels are where you want them, then dose back. The next is elemental, this is great for corals and coralline algae alike. A small dose daily(a pinch) works best. My corals have increased in size greatly since I started using it. I do not recommend using them together. I now use elemental, works great and is the most cost effective way to dose that I have found.
Try Kalk buddy. Way more cost effective and has some great aspects for reef use while also maintaining calcium.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

My last water change was July 4th 20 gallons , I was doing 2 water changes a week for the last two weeks because of the cyano. I do have these to start dosing but wanted to get levels naturally .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3042450025.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	104909  

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com