Why is my calcium low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marco V

Aquarium Advice Freak
These are my last test results , I know my calcium should be higher but why is it so low or is it ?
Aquarium my tank parameters are:

Temperature: 79.7
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia, NH4: 0
Nitrate, NO3: 0
Nitrite, NO2: 0
pH: 8.2
Alkalinity, KH: 8.1
Calcium, Ca: 330
Magnesium, Mg: 1,360

for date: July 5, 2012

Marco V said:
These are my last test results , I know my calcium should be higher but why is it so low or is it ?
Aquarium my tank parameters are:

Temperature: 79.7
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia, NH4: 0
Nitrate, NO3: 0
Nitrite, NO2: 0
pH: 8.2
Alkalinity, KH: 8.1
Calcium, Ca: 330
Magnesium, Mg: 1,360

for date: July 5, 2012

What salt do you use? And what size tank? Corals, types etc? Also double check it with another test kit or your LFS.

60 gallon DT 30 gallon sump/refugium . Frogspawn, riccordia , zoo's, sebae anemone, daisy polyps and a BTA. I'm buying water from LFS.

I just had a friend tell me that it's my bio rock that is using all my calcium , could this be true ?

Marco V said:
I just had a friend tell me that it's my bio rock that is using all my calcium , could this be true ?

No.

What is your salinity? And what was the last calcium reading before this test and how long ago.

Also have you ever tested the LFS water for calcium. I would like to know that level to.

You have nothing in your tank that would be using up a lot of calcium, so im betting your LFS could be the problem.

Salinity is @ 1.025 last time I tested for calcium was 1 month ago and it was @ 360 . I stopped testing for calcium while I was fighting the Cyanobacteria outbreak I had now that I have that under control I went back to my regular schedule for testing . I have not tested the water before the water change.

Marco V said:
Salinity is @ 1.025 last time I tested for calcium was 1 month ago and it was @ 360 . I stopped testing for calcium while I was fighting the Cyanobacteria outbreak I had now that I have that under control I went back to my regular schedule for testing . I have not tested the water before the water change.

Last water change?

If you have gone a longer than usual time between PWC's then it very well could be from Coralline algae if you've gotten a big bloom recently.

Calcium is consumed by both corals and coralline algae. There are great products to helping erase calcium. The first is purple up, it works great with no mixing. Add at regular intervals untill the levels are where you want them, then dose back. The next is elemental, this is great for corals and coralline algae alike. A small dose daily(a pinch) works best. My corals have increased in size greatly since I started using it. I do not recommend using them together. I now use elemental, works great and is the most cost effective way to dose that I have found.

Mittyzen said:
Calcium is consumed by both corals and coralline algae. There are great products to helping erase calcium. The first is purple up, it works great with no mixing. Add at regular intervals untill the levels are where you want them, then dose back. The next is elemental, this is great for corals and coralline algae alike. A small dose daily(a pinch) works best. My corals have increased in size greatly since I started using it. I do not recommend using them together. I now use elemental, works great and is the most cost effective way to dose that I have found.

Try Kalk buddy. Way more cost effective and has some great aspects for reef use while also maintaining calcium.

My last water change was July 4th 20 gallons , I was doing 2 water changes a week for the last two weeks because of the cyano. I do have these to start dosing but wanted to get levels naturally .

Attachments

• image-3042450025.jpg
    image-3042450025.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 71
Marco V said:

I guess I should have read the first post. I agree with the previous poster and suggest you test the LFS water, alternately I would buy a good salt, buy some RO/DI water and start doing water changes to get your levels in order, then start dosing a balanced solution. I am personally a big fan of kalkwasser as top off water in an ato. If it isn't enough to keep up, you can mix it stronger and encourage evaporation. But before dosing anything get your calcium and alk balanced.

Well I do have a six stage RO/DI unit but I stop making my own because I thought I did it wrong and cause some of the cyano , I know better now but have gotten back to making my own water. I was using red sea for the salt mix

Purple up is a bad choice to raise calcium. You can't buy a bottle of calcium and alkalinity all in one, and adding just calcium will only lower your alk and eventually effect your livestock.
You definitely should use a 2 (or 3...mag) part product, like the kits bulk reef supply sells.

Yes. BRS sells that stuff in powder form for a lot less than the b-ionic, but it's the same thing. Go to their site and check out the "how to" videos.

My last water change was July 4th 20 gallons , I was doing 2 water changes a week for the last two weeks because of the cyano. I do have these to start dosing but wanted to get levels naturally .

It is part of the cycle, it will take time. After this is under control, green hair algae will start. If your calcium levels are high enough, coraline algae will then grow.

Mittyzen said:
It is part of the cycle, it will take time. After this is under control, green hair algae will start. If your calcium levels are high enough, coraline algae will then grow.

Seriously? Are you saying Cyanobacteria and hair algae are a forgone conclusion? It's part of the cycle? I have to disagree with this statement, it is, unfortunately common for these things to occur, but not inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom