why is sand going purple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockerman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone someone at work got a marine tank he says the sand keeps going a purple. i dont anything about the setup im sorry to say but do anyone know what could be the prob.thanks

Can you get a pic? Does it have bubble forming on/in it? Are you sure it's not coraline algae (I've never really seen it on the sand, but I suppose lack of water movement or cleaning crew it might be possible).

cyanobacteria. Its no good to have in your tank. Results from exces nutrients in your water. Mainly nitrates and phospates. Do more frequiet water changes and be careful how much and how often you feed. I seemed to have misplaced my link but i'm sure melosu will help me out there.

hi tanks for your help. i just found out he has no skimmer would adding one help

that`s a great article that Lindsay gave you. It explains it all. Yes Adding a skimmer would definitely help. It would remove DOC`s that end up being excessive nutrients that feed cyano and nuisance algea.

yes that algae is all bad...i remember having it its suck it was everywhere i think it actually killed my corals...i had to do a big water change and put my skimmer on it and ever since never had it....you should do something about it before it gets out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom