Why is the salinity increasing? and cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themartins

Aquarium Advice Freak
We're currently cycling a 10 gal. and the salinity was staying stable at .026; however, it rose to .028 yesterday, and to .030 today. What would make in increase like that? We've been topping it off with fresh water twice per week. The tank is very full with water, should we remove some of the saltwater to add more fresh water?

Please give any imput. This is our first attempt at saltwater.

Here are today's test results from API test kits
pH 8.2
ammonia 1.5 ppm
nitrite between 0 and .25
nitrate 5 ppm
salinity 0.030

I agree as long as it`s cycling just let it go. After the cycle you`ll need to bring it back down by doing what you suggested.

What are you using to measure your salinity? If you are using the hydrometer sometimes air bubbles on the indicator can cause a reading change up or down.

Still, as indicated, during a cycle the salinity level isn't as critical as long as it meets the minimum level. The large water change normally done at the end of the cycle to get rid of any excess Nitrates would level out the salinity.

We're using a hydrometer. I'm wondering if we're using it right, though. We fill the water through the top and fill it up over the arrow, put it on a flat place and then tap the top to release air bubbles.

I'm glad to hear that the higher salinity level shouldn't hurt our cycle and that the water change at the end will help out with this.

A better way to check your salinity is with a Refractometer...it's more pricey, they run about $50.00, but a lot more accurate. Here is a link to Marine Depot but you can get a refractometer from just about any online aquarium vendor. Some LFS' may have them as well but none in my area carry them. Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer

As for the hydrometer, I found that it was very difficult to get the thing filled without getting some bubbles and tapping doesn't always work..there may still be microbubbles you can't see. I used to turn the thing upside down until it was under the water completely and then turn it up to let it fill..it seemed to cut down on the bubble problem. It wasn't unusual, however, for me to fill and empty the thing a few times before I could get a bubble free fill.

Back
Top Bottom